Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Texas teen gets 10 years probation for driving drunk, killing 4?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The defense was, the youth is himself a victim -- of "affuenza," according to one psychologist -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy.

Lawyers for Couch, 16, had argued that the teen's parents should share a part of the blame for the crash because they never set limits for the boy and gave him everything he wanted.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/index.html

His parents are very wealthy. (We are talking the 1%.)

So if you are privileged, spoilt and well connected there is a different law? That’s justice for you!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Surprised?

I don't doubt that judge's political party of choice will receive a very large anonymous donation from a very wealthy set of parents, if they haven't already.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
The defense was, the youth is himself a victim -- of "affuenza," according to one psychologist -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy.

Lawyers for Couch, 16, had argued that the teen's parents should share a part of the blame for the crash because they never set limits for the boy and gave him everything he wanted.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/index.html

His parents are very wealthy. (We are talking the 1%.)

So if you are privileged, spoilt and well connected there is a different law? That’s justice for you!

That's the way the world has always worked... Not sure why you are so surprised?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He'll probably be a Republican leader in 20 years time.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Nearer to home...would Tony Pulis have escaped a driving ban in 2012 if he hadn't been rich and famous? Most definitely not.

He had a strange excuse;

He was spared a ban as he argued he could not be expected to use a chauffeur because he needed to keep his phone conversations private.

So he admits to using a phone whilst driving ???

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
He had a strange excuse;

He was spared a ban as he argued he could not be expected to use a chauffeur because he needed to keep his phone conversations private.

So he admits to using a phone whilst driving ???

He also claimed that driving was an essential part of his job and, were he to be sacked, it could result in Stoke City FC being relegated. His lawyers argued therefore that the banning of Tony Pulis could have a detrimental effect on the local economy.

Madness.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
He had a strange excuse;

I think I would have asked could he not get a car with a privacy screen or somesuch if he didn't trust his driver. Or get a driver with hearing issues who cannot hear him. Or tell people to ring back later if it's confidential. Or tell his driver to pull over and get out of the car (if it's safe to do so).
I'm not overly sympathetic to pleas of exceptional hardship.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Being Texas, its a nailed on certainty the court verdict would have been rather different had the defendant been black.

As has been shown many times in the past, money can buy justice (sic) in the USA. Chances are the boys parents move in the 'right circles' of people who also happen to move in the same 'circles' as the judge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here