Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Movies in 3D - largely SHIT

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
I bought a tv when the old one buggered up and it came with 3D, to be honest, I don't find it too bad when I am at home but I wouldn't pay £5 extra or however much it is to watch a film in 3D at the cinema?

Not had any films stand out in 3D but its a good novelty. Although Nitro circus Live 3D was pretty good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is Gravity still on?

Dunno. Did see it in 3D though. Made me feel a bit sick at points. I guess you could say it was a good film if you want your cinematic experience to be akin to a fairground ride. But otherwise...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Gravity and Avatar stand out but as a general rule they don't do it for me. As soon as the camera moves quickly they seem to lose focus and be tricky to follow

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Are you all Mark Kermode?

Not that I don't agree with all of the above - hold on does that make me Mark Kermode?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gravity was amazeballs. I've not seen another normal film in 3D as there's no point.

See I came out of it thinking it was amazing, but when you actually think about the character development, plot, etc, it's a bit shit, isn't it? As a fairground ride it's great, but as a film?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Never seen a movie in 3D - might have done if I lived somewhere with a 3D cinema but Worthing doesn't. And it would have only been a kids movie anyway as the few times I got to the cinema its to take the kids to see something.

edit: to clarify, I did see a couple of 3D movies in the early 80's, with all the requisite watermelons etc. And I did try a 3D TV at Tescos but the effect was pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Are you all Mark Kermode?

Not that I don't agree with all of the above - hold on does that make me Mark Kermode?

I stick to 2D showings (with the exception of Gravity) where possible. Does that make me Mark Kermode?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
See I came out of it thinking it was amazing, but when you actually think about the character development, plot, etc, it's a bit shit, isn't it? As a fairground ride it's great, but as a film?

The basic plot and script just made a basic platform for the SHITTING****WOAH thrills, as a throwback to the 1970's disaster movies. Yes, it was definitely a fairground ride but isn't all action films? It doesn't mean it's not a good film.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I stick to 2D showings (with the exception of Gravity) where possible. Does that make me Mark Kermode?

If you have a quiff, an over interest in skiffle music and use the word existential too much then you probably are.

I also stick with 2D, but don't have enough hair for the quiff, skiffle is only OKish and my vocabulary way short of the good Doctor's.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Other than the recent Gravity, I now avoid all 3D screenings.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
When it works it really works Gravity, Avengers etc

But generally I agree its a bit meh.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Just bought a 55 inch 3D tv
Not that bothered with 3D but thought just as well got the lot if your buying a new tv
Best films seen in 3D LIFE OF PI and Avatar Final Destinstion 5 was quite good as well especially the bit when the bridge was collapsing
But on the whole most 3d films now seem to have given up on the wow factor of things popping out of screen and concentrating more again on plots, there lots of great depth watching 3D movies as if there's loads of layers going back inside your tv but very little popping out so not much wow factor

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Took my boy to see something or other a couple of years back. Fell asleep, woke up halfway through with no idea what was going on. He offered me a couple of skittles which he'd saved for me and I promptly broke a tooth on one. Cost me a ton at the dentist to get it fixed.
So, Yes, 3D films are shit in my opinion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, I wear glasses. So I have to wear TWO PAIRS of glasses at 3D screenings, making me look even more of a GONK than usual. So that's a personal gripe with 3D.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here