Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scottish Giants crash out of Champions League.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Best news I have heard all week, Celtic are a joke of a club, like their manager.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
They've had this coming in Europe for some time. Perhaps a little humility might now creep into their (or at least Lennon's) vocabulary? No? Ok, I thought not. Just because they're big in a one team league doesn't mean they're going to cut it in Europe. The halcyon days of the "Lions of Lisbon" or whatever it was, have long gone. They've got by in the last few seasons on the back of honest endeavour and their own celtic nationalistic vortex so maybe they understand now it'll never be enough. And maybe Virgil will realise he made a mistake in the summer and head down to the Amex like he should've done all along!!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
They would have loads of money and would do fine in the premier league!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If clubs the size of Southampton and Swansea can be buying £10m+ players and thriving in the English Premiership, I think you'd have to have a pretty awful grasp of how the world works to not see that Celtic (and indeed Rangers) would potentially be very big and successful clubs in that environment with that money. However, they're not joining the English league and I find it bizarre that every time they are mentioned someone has to bring up where they'd be.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Barcelona made them look utterly amateur last night - even at 6-0 up they were waltzing through most of whatever Celtic called a defence for fun.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If clubs the size of Southampton and Swansea can be buying £10m+ players and thriving in the English Premiership, I think you'd have to have a pretty awful grasp of how the world works to not see that Celtic (and indeed Rangers) would potentially be very big and successful clubs in that environment with that money. However, they're not joining the English league and I find it bizarre that every time they are mentioned someone has to bring up where they'd be.

I agree with this - if they joined the English League they and Rangers would be very competitive although both have had significant financial problems in recent years I believe. I think the point that is being made is that if their current side and management were competing in England they would not do so well

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Scottish football is the most pointless event in British sport.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Scottish football is the most pointless event in British sport.

You honesty believe that? It's nowhere near the size, standard or prestige of the English leagues but for a country 10 times smaller than england their league includes two big clubs that with the riches that come with premier league football would easily hold their own in our top flight.

A 42 team, four league system is pretty comprehensive for such a small country, although the standard in the lower reaches is poor. Scotland only looks like a poor footballing nation becsuse it's compared to the worlds greatest (league) footballing nation.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Exactly! Of course if you clicked your fingers and chucked Celtic or Rangers in the top flight their teams would probably be embarrassed but iMO with the same revenue streams as the others and they'd slot in as two of the bigger teams in the top flight. Say what you like about the standard of scottish football but rangers and celtic are massive clubs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barcelona made them look utterly amateur last night - even at 6-0 up they were waltzing through most of whatever Celtic called a defence for fun.

Change the shirts and it could have been Albion v Barnsley apart from the scoreline :lol:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I never ever want to see those two shyt clubs and their poxy fans in the English League.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think "crashing out" is a bit harsh..... after all they did score a brilliant goal at the end to show those pesky Spaniards what might have been if they had enjoyed a bit more luck on the night.

OK so just surmising what the local press will probably make of it ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think "crashing out" is a bit harsh..... after all they did score a brilliant goal at the end to show those pesky Spaniards what might have been if they had enjoyed a bit more luck on the night.

OK so just surmising what the local press will probably make of it ???

Suspicion of offside for the Celtic goal ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here