Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abion loan star unsure about future [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Abion loan star unsure about future[/h]2:30pm Wednesday 11th December 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2771345.jpg
Craig Conway
ALL good things come to an end but the conclusion to Craig Conway’s loan spell with Albion is unfortunate timing for the Scotland international winger.
He has run into peak form just as he is about to return to Cardiff for an enforced break from action lasting more than a fortnight.
Conway makes his farewell appearance for the Seagulls at Middlesbrough on Saturday, farewell for now at least.
He was signed on the maximum 93-day loan in mid-September, so on his return to Wales has to wait until the transfer window opens on January 1 for his future to be resolved.
His future is unlikely to be with Cardiff. Conway said: “This is my last year. I’ve got just over six months left so I will be looking to get something sorted. We will obviously speak about that.
“The two clubs (Albion and Cardiff) have been in contact about games, just letting me know my progress. I’ve just had a couple of texts here and there with the coaches and players. That’s really as far as it has gone.
“I’ve had no conversation about what is going to happen in January.”
Conway has dropped down the pecking order at Cardiff since scoring the goal at Burnley which clinched the Championship title for them in April.
He was excluded from Malky Mackay’s Premier League squad, which paved the way for his temporary switch to the South Coast.
Former Albion winger Craig Noone had to wait until the recent home draw with Manchester United for his top- flight debut for Cardiff as a substitute. It seems unlikely, despite his increasing influence on Albion’s fortunes, that Conway will suddenly jump back into Mackay’s plans.
There will be no hard feelings. Conway is philosophical about failing to make the Premier League cut. “That’s history now,” he said. “I don’t really think about that any more. We had a great season last season. I’ve got a lot of great memories.
“The conversations I had with the manager and stuff that’s really finished. I am enjoying playing here and I’ve got no hard feelings at all about what happened. That’s just football.
“It was inevitable some players were going to have to move on. They were going to spend money and bring new players in and you can’t play everybody. It was just unfortunate I was one of them.
“Of course, I would have loved the chance. Any player wants to play the top level but I had a great time there and obviously I am still a Cardiff player.”
At least he is until the New Year but Albion appear to be in pole position to re-engage him if they so wish.
Conway was signed, in the first instance, primarily to cover for the absence of the injured Andrea Orlandi. Subsequent knee surgery for Kazenga LuaLua accentuated the value of his capture.
He has got better and better in the 12 games he has played, culminating in his first goal against Leicester at The Amex on Saturday and the cross which led to the clinching penalty from Ashley Barnes. Conway said: “I’ve enjoyed it. Getting back to playing games is what I wanted to come here and do. “It took me two or three weeks to find my feet but I’ve been feeling good and doing well.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here