Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carry On Drinking

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The big question mark is over the adjustment for factors such as income, and whether the adjustment they've applied has been sufficient.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know of many people who drink 50-100 units of alcohol a week and have done for decades with no ill health, infact the opposite.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It doesn't really mean much if they don't state how the people died.

What if half the non-drinkers that died were killed in car accidents by drinkers who survived the crash?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I know of many people who drink 50-100 units of alcohol a week and have done for decades with no ill health, infact the opposite.

And probably have only 50-100 brain cells left to rub together.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Likewise... but I also had two close friends die in their 30s because of alcohol abuse and the damage it did to their bodies.
Some people are lucky, some aren't.

As an ex-pub landlord I'm now as close to being tee-total as you can be without actually giving up drink altogether.

[RIP Dave & Tony]

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
1. Who paid for this survey? The drinks lobby? Vague investigations like this can be interpreted in many ways and the conclusions nearly always reflect the underlying views of the sponsors.

2. Any survey like this that looks at alcohol consumed without looking into the manner in which it is consumed is being very naïve in my books. If you compare someone who drinks a bottle or two of wine over the course of an evening, as part of a nice meal, with someone who sits on the sofa and knocks back half a bottle of whisky from a tumbler in quick order, statistically they may have consumed exactly the same number of alcohol units. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out that one is going to be doing more damage to themselves than the other.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
1. Who paid for this survey? The drinks lobby? Vague investigations like this can be interpreted in many ways and the conclusions nearly always reflect the underlying views of the sponsors.

2. Any survey like this that looks at alcohol consumed without looking into the manner in which it is consumed is being very naïve in my books. If you compare someone who drinks a bottle or two of wine over the course of an evening, as part of a nice meal, with someone who sits on the sofa and knocks back half a bottle of whisky from a tumbler in quick order, statistically they may have consumed exactly the same number of alcohol units. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out that one is going to be doing more damage to themselves than the other.

Shut up and have a drink.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yet another load of bollocks study published by a university. Why do they always miss out important variables in these things :shrug:

They need to ask what they were eating, how much excercise did they do, what did they die of, where did they work, were they also smokers, were they taking illegal drugs, were they taking prescription drugs. Bloody student muppets have wasted their time for 20 years :facepalm:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As someone that likes a drink and can see the benefits from drinking, more so psychologically than probably physical health wise it is always nice to be told that it is of benefit.

Unfortunately I was listening to a discussion about this very research, it seems the flaw in the research numbers and the life expectancy didnt take into account the high percentage of ex-alcoholics that are within the non drinking numbers !!!

It seems that

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

What constitutes a unit? Not a pint surely?
Seems your trying to convince yourself uncle,guess you drink more then you would actually like to?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Seems your trying to convince yourself uncle,guess you drink more then you would actually like to?

It's around 2.5 - 3 units for a pint ( obviously depending upon how strong the beer is ).

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

1 unit is 10ml of pure alcohol. The easiest way to calculate units is to multply the % ABV by the number of litres drunk (or by ml/cc drunk, then divide by 1000).

Hence 1 pint (568ml, or 0.568 litres) of 5% beer = 5 x 0.568 = 2.84 units

And so on...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
1 unit is 10ml of pure alcohol. The easiest way to calculate units is to multply the % ABV by the number of litres drunk (or by ml/cc drunk, then divide by 1000).

Hence 1 pint (568ml, or 0.568 litres) of 5% beer = 5 x 0.568 = 2.84 units

And so on...

So 7 Duvels is fine before dinner, yes ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here