Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scalextric - or alternatives

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well my boy is finally old enough for me to by him (me) a scalextric for Christmas. The question is am i better off going for the real thing or are any of the cheaper alternatives worth a pop? I wonder if it depends on how into it he will become and if we hill want to buy all the cars and add ons and stuff to make it bigger and and bigger.

Anyone got any advice to help me through this important milestone in life?

Or should I just get him Subbuteo?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If you're not sure whether it's Scalextrix or Scalextric you might as well go for a cheaper alternative.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You're welcome:lol: - I still have my white 60's Scalextric Mercedes from short trouserhood, so definitely go for the brand. I'm sure the littlefish will appreciate it in years to come.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My parents got me and my bro a cheaper alternative when I was young and we enjoyed it and then when I was older I got the real thing and it was even better

Me too, race and chase I got (still remember that Christmas) I loved it. Then we got my cousins Scalextric when we were a bit older. The cheaper alternative offers more for your money but I assume will not last as long (with my three kids things don't last long anyway).

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
what is Scalextric digital all about?
Same as normal (you can switch to normal) but with some swanky features. Digital cars have chips and there are digital overtaking bits of track you can buy. It means you can have up to 6 cars on the 2 lanes all controlled separately. You can fit chips to older cars to make them work with digital. The track apart from the overtaking bits is the same.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I remember my dad buying a scaletrix for himself one Christmas, I mean for me and my brother. Though we had to fight him and my uncle off it to get a go.

Brought loads of extra's for it afterwards. Certainly great fun

Aug 23, 2011
Same as normal (you can switch to normal) but with some swanky features. Digital cars have chips and there are digital overtaking bits of track you can buy. It means you can have up to 6 cars on the 2 lanes all controlled separately. You can fit chips to older cars to make them work with digital. The track apart from the overtaking bits is the same.

I just googled this and it looks great. You can even set up cars to run automatically so you can race on your own. Hmm girls like cars right?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Oooooohhhhhhhh, that sounds good! You may have sold this to me. Maybe I will get myself one of these and him the cheapest generic crap I can find.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Dunno if SCX (Spanish brand) is still going but was way better than Scalextric. Filled my living room with £1,500 of it about fifteen years ago. Ice chicanes, jumps etc. All sorts of stuff Scalextric didn't have. Ninco supposed to be pretty good too. Scalextric is cheap and nasty, the Fosters of slot cars.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I remember my dad buying a scaletrix for himself one Christmas, I mean for me and my brother. Though we had to fight him and my uncle off it to get a go.

Brought loads of extra's for it afterwards. Certainly great fun

History maybe about to repeat itself.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I just googled this and it looks great. You can even set up cars to run automatically so you can race on your own. Hmm girls like cars right?

Just told my wife about Scelextric digital and she seemed a little disinterested........she may be the exception though

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Re: Scalextrix - or alternatives

Try and look out for the Sebastian Vettel Scalextric Set. It's very reliable and the car never breaks down or comes off the track. If you have a can of lighter fuel you can upgrade to the retro Nikki Lauda Set.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here