Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas cards -- does anyone still send them?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It may just be me, but I get the impression that there are many fewer people sending Christmas cards, and the number sent seems to go down year on year.
I send very few myself these days -- mainly to elderly relatives who still expect them, and a few old friends who live a long way away.
Are they really an anachronism in this day and age, when it's so easy to keep in touch with people if you want to?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have sent ZERO. I expect my wife will send a dozen or so.

Pointless, especially sending them to people that you are physically going to see to wish well in person.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My Mrs sends dozens of them. When I say (as I do every year) "we should stop sending them" I just get told not to be so daft. So she buys them, writes them and posts them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The ex used to love sitting and writing them to all and sundry. Don't bother now I'm single.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My Mrs sends dozens of them. When I say (as I do every year) "we should stop sending them" I just get told not to be so daft. So she buys them, writes them and posts them.

Exactly this.

And as for the OPs question, no, I don't get the impression fewer are sending them, becasue we have already received a couple of dozen, and the missus will be posting around 100 of them out ot our fiends, relatives etc. later this week.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We buy 70 and post almost all of them. We get about the same number back, generally full of messages, reminders of old friends, news and general chitchat. The people we know are worth the few quid our Christmas mail costs each year. On the other hand my sister-in-law tells me that she is just going to send email greetings this year: obviously the value to her of the people she knows is much lower. Sad really, but it's her choice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We buy 70 and post almost all of them. We get about the same number back, generally full of messages, reminders of old friends, news and general chitchat. The people we know are worth the few quid our Christmas mail costs each year. On the other hand my sister-in-law tells me that she is just going to send email greetings this year: obviously the value to her of the people she knows is much lower. Sad really, but it's her choice.

Why, you're just the perfect man. Dreamy.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Still send a few.Mainly to oldie relatives and friends who live some distance away.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Waste of time and money, same as birthday cards.

I refuse to buy or send either, and encourage people not to send them to me.

Jul 7, 2003
Haven't sent any in years although the Mrs sends a few - mainly to older family friends and relatives.

I took the decision to tell people at work that I wasn't being a miserable git or just too lazy to write them (although that was probably close to the truth) but instead would donate the money I spent on cards to the local hospice. Each year, I give £20 to either St Barnabas or Chestnut Tree House which is much better thanbuying charity xmas cards.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I look forward to giving and receiving a card for both Christmas and my birthday to me it shows that somebody cares and I take a lot of notice of the words that are in them. Last year one of my relations said that she wasnt sending any more and would do it on line, to which I replied to exclude me from your list and dont insult me by sending me an online card. If me or my wife dont mean sufficient to somebody to warrant a little thought in buying and sending a card dont bother at all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here