Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince at centre back

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Considering he joined the club as a centre back and with Liam Bridcutt returning to the starting line-up, could Rohan Ince possibly revert back to central defence?

I think he has been superb in the middle and would not be surprised if that is now his position of choice. Certainly one of the stand-out performers this season.

But I have never seen him play in defence. He might be even better there. Think he would add some pace and height to the back four and also would be someone able to step out of the back four and bring the ball forward.

Maybe a long-term option as Greer and Upson age and if we manage to keep Bridcutt.

Not every week. Not instead of playing as a midfield player. But useful to have some flexibility and cover in more than once position amid the restrictions of FFP on squads.

Has anyone ever seen him play there? Is he any good at the back?

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rohan Ince

+ Strong
+ Quick
+ Direct

- Passing sometimes sloppy
- Sometimes lacks composure
- Positional sense still developing

His attributes make him suited to playing even further FORWARD, rather than further back.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Defenders are in abundance and so i would much rather see Ince build up a career in midfield. He adds much needed muscle and height in the center.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
His attributes make him suited to playing even further FORWARD, rather than further back.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. Just having never seen him play there I wonder what he would be like in what was, until a few months ago, his preferred position.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Ince and Bridders seemed to be fine when starting together in midfield against Leicester last week.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ince and Bridders seemed to be fine when starting together in midfield against Leicester last week.

Oh completely. I love him in midfield. A really exciting prospect. You won't find a bigger supporter of Ince in the middle than me.

Just have never seen him play centre back and was wondering how good he might be there.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Considering he joined the club as a centre back and with Liam Bridcutt returning to the starting line-up, could Rohan Ince possibly revert back to central defence?

I think he has been superb in the middle and would not be surprised if that is now his position of choice. Certainly one of the stand-out performers this season.

But I have never seen him play in defence. He might be even better there. Think he would add some pace and height to the back four and also would be someone able to step out of the back four and bring the ball forward.

Maybe a long-term option as Greer and Upson age.

Maybe, but think probably not. We've got a lot of midfielders, and will have a surfeit of them when they all become fit. Our defence lacks those qualities that you highlight, so Ince moving there could solve that problem. Oscar seems to think that his best position is midfield. When we played at Whitehawk over the summer, which was Oscar's first game, he started with Ince at centre-back for the first half. There were mass substitutions at half-time, and I think Ince went off. Pretty sure that he returned to the pitch later in second half as a midfielder, and don't think Oscar's played him in defence subsequently.

If he is as good as we think he is, the big question is in what position will he be able to influence the game most effectively. I'd say this is probably as a box-to-box midfielder, but might be wrong, and trust that Oscar will make the right decision. That said, the prospect of Ince and Upson at centre-back is a delicious one, as much as I enjoyed AE-A returning alongside Upson on Saturday.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I wouldnt want to see him at the back, I dont think he is currently stong enough in the air, he also goes to ground to quickly for my liking, I much prefer him in the middle covering plenty of ground and making it awkward for oppostion teams to play through the middle, then breaking up play and initiating counter attacks. He is still young and should of course never say never, however I'd just be a bit worried that he would then become jack of all trades master of none, look at Jones and Smalling at united, struggling to find a key role in the team and filling in where needed, also if you go a little closer to home, players like el abd and Joel Lynch, struggled at a young age to hold down a postion and played in weaker areas, Rohan has already made an impact in the middle and should continue to improve there for the time being.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh completely. I love him in midfield. A really exciting prospect. You won't find a bigger supporter of Ince in the middle than me.

Just have never seen him play centre back and was wondering how good he might be there.

I think he played there against Whitehawk in pre-season? Played pretty well from what I can remember, with Courtney Richards in the Bridcutt role.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Some might consider it a waste, and maybe they are right in the age of the holding midfielder, but I would love to have centre backs that can play a bit and not just clog it upfield, no disrespect to Greer and Upson.
My thoughts are that he could be a very decent midfielder, but there is a chance he could be a top class centre back. I leave it to Oscar and Ince to work out whats best for him but I would like to see him play there.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Centre backs are two a penny. Decent big marauding midfielders are rare as reindeer poo on Christmas Eve. Who cares if he can play centre back!!

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Gus looked at pushing Dunk into midfield a couple of pre seasons ago. it didn't work out. Ince however..... different class.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ince is quiet a prospect, but IMO not sure if his turning speed is quick enough to be a CB. Breaking play up in central midfield, and occasionally marauding forward is where I personally think he's best suited.

I think from midfield he'll also grab a few headed goals.

I could be wrong, lets see.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Neither his heading or tackling ability are good enough to be a central defender and the last line before the keeper. In midfield if he misses either somebody else can cover him. As a central defender I think that his reckless missed tackles would result in a number of penalties conceded. Leave him in midfield where he can do more damage to the opponents and less to our defence.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think that a great shout. Greer is injured at the moment, if Upson or El Abd are not available soon as well, i would rather Ince at CB than the Dunk.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not good enough in the air for a centre-back.

That isn't true. Hardly anyone wins headers against him. In fact i seen other players bottle it when facing Ince.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here