Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice please - entry level smartphoness

Thinking of using the traditional Christmas postal orders from the relatives to splash out on one. As I spend most of my day sat in front of a PC can generally access anything I want using a "proper" computer. However, just occasionally I feel the need to "surf"when out of the house, for instance looking up weather forecasts and tide times when on hols. abroad would be nice, as would keeping in touch with matters Albion without relying on texts from friends.

Don't want anything particularly flash (I see Blackberry are now down to around £70, any good?), on minimum monthly contract with Utility Warehouse for texts and calls. Minimum contract would give 250mb of data pm, frankly I haven't a clue as to how much use this would allow, I have no plans to be streaming music or video.

Over to you, wise ones.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Hi
I have a huawei ascend smart phone.
Pay £7.50 a month
5000 Txts 250 minutes and 500 data
Apparently this is a basic smartphone although it does everything i need.
Like you say checking internet when not at home, big screen, and the network is talk mobile which uses vodaphone.
Can highly recommend
Happy to answer any questions you may havw

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nokia now have 3 (I think) smart phones under £100.

I have the 610, about £80, plus £10 a month with GiffGaff, all previous NSC recommendations.

I couldn't be happier.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Samsung Galaxy Something or Other - supplied free by work so use whenever and wherever I want.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Samsung Galaxy Something or Other - supplied free by work so use whenever and wherever I want.

That provides absolutely no help to the question being posed and comes across as just a little bit smug.

(I'm not sure I'd be so boastful if my employer was so cheap as to not supply an iPhone)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That provides absolutely no help to the question being posed and comes across as just a little bit smug.

(I'm not sure I'd be so boastful if my employer was so cheap as to not supply an iPhone)

Not really, it helps more than posting to a link to a phone sold out, however you always know best

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not really, it helps more than posting to a link to a phone sold out, however you always know best

1. Your post was of no help at all, and just made to be boastful.
2. My link was provided in order to give information on the Moto G, widely acknowledged as an absolute steal of a phone.
3. The phone is not sold out on the link provided - change the drop down on the model and buy away.
4. Many other outlets are available for the phone.
5. You really are a very sad little man.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I got a Samsung galaxy y for my young son £29 a bargain

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You'd be a lunatic to get anything other than the Motorola Moto G and then get a cheapo GiffGaff or 3 unlimited data SIM only deal.

I got the Moto G on release day.
Absolute quality phone, best purchase of the last couple of years imo.

I've also got an Ovivo sim, so costs for a decent smart phone and tariff are possibly the lowest you'll find.
If you're a heavier data user, opt for the PAYG Giffgaff.

Depends what network gives you better signal where you'll most use the phone.
Giffgaff = O2
Ovivo = Vodafone

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Where from at that price? I might get my daughter one.[/QU
it was car phone warehouse what you have to do is go for a payg upgrade my boy loves it he's 9

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've had an HTC Desire for just over 2 years.
Been alright / reliable.
SHould I keep using or look for something newer.
Rarely use for internet, mostly txt and calls

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I bought a second hand iphone 3gs off ebay for my daughter. I bought it unlocked from a company that sells with a good reputation. Cost £60 had a few marks on the back, but once I put a cover on it looked like new. It does not update to the latest IOS, but works perfectly and does pretty much everything my iphone 4 does. I use a HTC desire for work, it's not a bad phone but does not feel as smooth and nice to use as the iphone 3gs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here