Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drugs,Match 'fixing' in sport and the rest of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Careful what you wish for with those LIFETIME bans.

Would you want the best players of this generation, banned? :whistle:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ian Goodison of Tranmere remanded in custody the other 5 have been bailed according to Sky Sports.

Are the the other 5 Man United's midfield ?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Ian Goodison is 41 years old. Guess a ban will hit him less hard than someone in the early part of their career. As in any sport, the risk of a fix is far greater where the rewards from it coming together are greater than the participant's salary/prize money, hence the players caught up in this seem to be lower division footballers heading towards the autumn of their careers.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ian Goodison is 41 years old. Guess a ban will hit him less hard than someone in the early part of their career. As in any sport, the risk of a fix is far greater where the rewards from it coming together are greater than the participant's salary/prize money, hence the players caught up in this seem to be lower division footballers heading towards the autumn of their careers.

Well the accused have certainly had their hot summer with all the players mentioned. :wink:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Be careful what you wish for, sometimes its better not to know.

I know where you're coming from, but disagree. It hurts, makes you feel sick and questions your love of the sport, but for every cheat caught there's a kid somewhere who didn't get the contract.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
YES. Why not ?
Because a life ban is a very long time!!

Handing them out to ALL players of all sports who are cheats will result in, for the short term at least, a massive reduction in the standard of sport available.

Hypothetically speaking lets start at the top.
What if it were proven the all conquering Spanish football team had gained their advantage through PED.
(clearly that's not the case as nobody has ever been caught)
Are you proposing life bans for most of Real and Barca's internationals.

But surely if the Spaniards are doping, their team mates from arcoss Europe and South America are likely to be doping too, and so on.

Once you open that can of worms you'd better have the stones to follow it through to the bitter end.
All the while hoping the governing bodies aren't in cahoots by sanctioning such practices through shoddy or non existent drug testing and prevention.

As said all hypothetical, but feel free to read the 'Lance Armstrong part deux' thread if you'd like a greater overview of PED's in sport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good. When can we start ?
There's plenty of people out there who have already started.
The question is knowing where to look.

As you know I run (or should that be ride) with the NSC cycling geeks.
When the lay person thinks of professional road cycling they automatically think of PED's, and it's poster boy Lancey-poohs.
Nothing wrong with that, you makes your bed...

I've taken it upon myself, through the 'part deux' thread to move that NSC discussion on, expanding it to ALL sport working on the glasshouses/stone throwing principle.

I firmly believe, one day, the biggest sports will be hammered in a Lance style top to bottom endemic PED scandals.
I believe the very best in the sport will be sanctioned.
I believe it will also involve governing bodies.
I believe someone will get caught, probably by a third party, border patrol etc, and the house of cards will tumble.

My tiny 'career' as a PED investigator will end when Robbie Savage says on MoTD 'this isn't true, no drug can make you kick a ball straight'.
From then on the jig is up and the vultures will begin to pick the carcass clean.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem like you're ready to move the debate over to here:-

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-fight-against-doping-charges-part-deux/page5

This is a nice loosener:-

http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/02/09/doping-in-football-fifty-years-of-evidence/

This is one of my favourites in recent months:-

Six Belgian racing pigeons 'doped with drugs'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24658278

2 points:-

a) There is now more doping in Belgium pigeon racing that all of British football (dare I say European).

ii) There is now more dope testing in BPR than all of British football.

You need to find the 2012 drug testing pie chart.
You just won't believe how little testing football and tennis do.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What should have been done to Rio Ferdinand for failing to supply a urine sample to drug testing?
Rio should have been given a creditable suspension, 2 years.
Man Utd (Ferguson) should have been told to shut the f**k up, or else the testers will be living at Old Trafford.
The FA should have realised they were faced with a no win conflict in interests problem, handed all drug testing over to a professional outside body. This could easily be funded through a minimal percentage from the TV rights deals.

Or

They could bow down to Utd and the press.
Reduce Rio's suspension down to a minimal amount.
Ignore the spector of PED's and recreational drug use.
Don't test and hope it doesn't blow up in their faces.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yep, strip the lot clean. I follow baseball, and there's a lot of players being caught right now. A lot of them have got 50 game bans. In a 150 game season that is nothing. At least one of them is now getting a 10million a year contract. Not right. I don't care if the best players get done. Needs to be radical.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, strip the lot clean. I follow baseball, and there's a lot of players being caught right now. A lot of them have got 50 game bans. In a 150 game season that is nothing. At least one of them is now getting a 10million a year contract. Not right. I don't care if the best players get done. Needs to be radical.
Ah but now your are talking about the American approach to drugs cheats v a British one.

We might share the same language, but it pretty much ends there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here