Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
At this stage last year our record was:

Goals for: 27

Against:16

This season:

For: 24

Against: 21

Considering the crippling run of injuries we've had that's a very encouraging record, albeit with less points on the board. With all the players coming back I'm looking forward to what should be an entertaining December and 2014.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I thought it was 18 against?

Nope.

Teams who scored against us in the 19 games last year:

Hull x1
Barnsley x1
Burnley x1
Millwall x1
Birmingham x1
Ipswich x1
Middlesbrough x1
Leicester x1
Blackpool x1
Leeds x2
Wolves x3
Huddersfield x1
Bolton x1

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
No, I mean this year? We're plus six and scored 24

Really?

Leeds x2
Derby x2
Millwall x1
Bolton x1
Ipswich x2
Sheffield Wednesday x1
Nottingham x3
Watford x1
Doncaster x1
Bournemouth x1
Barnsley x2
Leicester x1

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So we have established that the OP can't add and that we have had a crippling run of injuries but are still in contention.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
So we have established that the OP can't add and that we have had a crippling run of injuries but are still in contention.

Yup, don't know where my extra three goals came from :facepalm:

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
If you're going to be sarcastic, get it right: scored fewer, not less.

It could reasonably be argued that 'less' is an adverb in this context. That is, the team has gone about its scoring activities with less proficiency this year which would make "we have scored less" correct. I appreciate there is a counter argument that [goals] is elided in Biscuit's sentence but I'm quite happy with his grammar as we don't have enough information to fully parse his posting (and, yes, I do know I've split an infinitive there!).

In short, it depends on whether you read "score" as a transitive or intransitive verb.

Sundays ... don't you just love 'em?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It could reasonably be argued that 'less' is an adverb in this context. That is, the team has gone about its scoring activities with less proficiency this year which would make "we have scored less" correct. I appreciate there is a counter argument that [goals] is elided in Biscuit's sentence but I'm quite happy with his grammar as we don't have enough information to fully parse his posting (and, yes, I do know I've split an infinitive there!).

In short, it depends on whether you read "score" as a transitive or intransitive verb.

Sundays ... don't you just love 'em?

That is a magnificent post. An education.

... I'm quite happy with his grammar as we don't have enough information to fully parse his posting (and, yes, I do know I've split an infinitive there!).

You've fallen victim of the inadequacies of traditional grammar. Switch to Chomskyan-style transformational-generative grammar and there's no problem making sense of what was originally posted.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
You've fallen victim of the inadequacies of traditional grammar. Switch to Chomskyan-style transformational-generative grammar and there's no problem making sense of what was originally posted.

Forgive me ... thought I was saying just that. But I also thought I had sneered at traditional grammar by recklessly splitting an infinitive. And I continue to play fast and loose by shamelessly starting sentences with conjunctions. Although we don't need to genuflect in Chomsky's direction to find inspired quidance on putting meaning before style. The seeds of rebellion against the straitjacket of pedantry go back further than Noam: 'that is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put' as Winston said a 100 years or so ago.

I'm no expert mind, just relying on the dregs of a 1970s Latin 'A' level for these half-baked opinions. I'm sure you're more up to date than me (ha ... that'll upset the pedants) so I'll leave the last word to you ...

Forgive me ... thought I was saying just that. But I also thought I had sneered at traditional grammar by recklessly splitting an infinitive. And I continue to play fast and loose by shamelessly starting sentences with conjunctions. Although we don't need to genuflect in Chomsky's direction to find inspired quidance on putting meaning before style. The seeds of rebellion against the straitjacket of pedantry go back further than Noam: 'that is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put' as Winston said a 100 years or so ago.

I'm no expert mind, just relying on the dregs of a 1970s Latin 'A' level for these half-baked opinions. I'm sure you're more up to date than me (ha ... that'll upset the pedants) so I'll leave the last word to you ...
Sadly, I'm not as up to date as I'd like to be. I'm just relying on the MA dissertation I wrote in 1970 on the theme of 'Transformations in Linguistics and Anthropology'.

The really sad thing is that I can no longer understand three-quarters of what I wrote.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Considering the crippling run of injuries we've had that's a very encouraging record, albeit with less points on the board. With all the players coming back I'm looking forward to what should be an entertaining December and 2014.

Can't keep using that excuse forever. Squad is decidedly weaker than last season if only through the loss of Bridge. Some of those that remain appear much of the time like beaten men who have yet to shrug off that capitulation to Palace in the second leg of play-off semis. Spanish Dave and Orlandi are hardly bravehearts that can be relied on to fight for the cause, and just as the team starts to bed down and play together as a unit, CMS will doubtless be introduced into the mix to a collective WTF! Most of the current team won't have any more idea of how to lay a ball off to CMS than they know how to lay a ball off to Lita. Besides, with Barnes and Ulloa both fit and firing on all cylinders, how do you find space for CMS or Hoskins?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Sadly, I'm not as up to date as I'd like to be. I'm just relying on the MA dissertation I wrote in 1970 on the theme of 'Transformations in Linguistics and Anthropology'.

The really sad thing is that I can no longer understand three-quarters of what I wrote.

Me too.
(ha ha)

The worrying thing is that Chomsky, David Crystal and Anthony Burgess are all old hat these days. Can't be arsed to get my head around the latest theories.

God bless Foucault and Tony Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here