Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MPs - 11% Pay Rise

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It won't happen. I was right the last time and I expect to be right again.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think it will happen as they are trying to justify it by saying they will lose pension benefits and the golden goodbye on retirement.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Incompetent apathetic crooks that know nothing of the financial struggle that many of us have been going through, nor they do care.

Taking our money but increasing theirs is indeed "inappropriate" to say the least.

definitely this

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
while the timing looks bad, has anyone read it and accounted for the time since their last rise, loss of expenses, and the point this comes in 2015? or are we goin for knee-jerk indignation?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
So the police and other emergency services have had a 3 year pay freeze. If they (especially the police) got an 11% pay rise after the freeze there would be uproar.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
The way we pay MPs in this country is the worst of all worlds. Basic salaries are too low to attract top talent, which means we get less than effective government and opposition plus too many second and third jobs. We also get a bias to the independently wealthy who do not need to rely on the salary. The expenses system is absurdly complex and lacking in transparency which engenders suspicion about MPs being on the take. We need a smaller but much higher quality House of Commons with a reward system fit for the 21st Century not the 19th.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So the police and other emergency services have had a 3 year pay freeze. If they (especially the police) got an 11% pay rise after the freeze there would be uproar.

Agree. It's criminal that politicians who are instrumental in creating the current economic mess reward themselves with 11% yet freeze the pay of ordinary hard working and decent people. Criminal and disgusting.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
They have actually cut the time they are at the House, in the last few years. I believe they attend for less than a third of the year now, and when they have to sit in extrodinary circumstances( death of Thatcher etc) they get time off in lieu, at about a 3-1 ratio. They also get a week off between Christmas and Easster, half term apparently.But they all say they work really, really hard,but can still find the time for second and third jobs. Most of them are shysters and frauds

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The way we pay MPs in this country is the worst of all worlds. Basic salaries are too low to attract top talent, which means we get less than effective government and opposition plus too many second and third jobs. We also get a bias to the independently wealthy who do not need to rely on the salary. The expenses system is absurdly complex and lacking in transparency which engenders suspicion about MPs being on the take. We need a smaller but much higher quality House of Commons with a reward system fit for the 21st Century not the 19th.

Not everyone is driven by money. There are plenty of incredibly talented people heading up all manner of organisations where money is not their main consideration or driver. I'd suggest a lower salary might attract more appropriate people as opposed to career politicians on a higher salary.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not everyone is driven by money. There are plenty of incredibly talented people heading up all manner of organisations where money is not their main consideration or driver. I'd suggest a lower salary might attract more appropriate people as opposed to career politicians on a higher salary.

Quite possibly although I guess they would already be considering the role (if they can find a way through the party political machines) if money isn't the issue. I do agree that a degree of altruism wouldn't go amiss in all of the parties. I still suspect though could never prove it that money remains a pretty motivating force.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite possibly although I guess they would already be considering the role (if they can find a way through the party political machines) if money isn't the issue. I do agree that a degree of altruism wouldn't go amiss in all of the parties. I still suspect though could never prove it that money remains a pretty motivating force.

Your party political machine comment is probably close to the mark. If you're a talented individual for whom money isn't a driving force there are probably a 101 roles/jobs you can take without having to subject yourself to the bullshit which goes with a political party.

PS Not necessarily suggesting altruism; more driven by other factors.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
One MP recently claimed expenses for attending a remembrance day service. Tells you all you need to know really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Somehow need to ensure local busy bodies and do-gooders are somehow precluded from being MPs as well. It's a tough balancing act.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Getting back on topic 11% is an insult

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It's frightening. Most of these people are nonentities whose main job is to bray during debates, wave their little white papers about like disgruntled Spanish football supporters and bounce up and down as if they actually want to ask a question during PMQT but would sh*t themselves if actually called. They are currently over lauded and overpaid. An 11% pay cut would be much more like it.

Of course, they could try payment based on attendance - I'm sure you've seen the televised Parliament programmes where there seem to be fifty people there, the rest having set up pairing arrangements so they can go on "fact finding" missions, usually somewhere more interesting, often somewhere warm. These facts are cunning little buggers, and hide in the most faraway of places.

Reduce their numbers as well, so that those remain wouldn't have the time for their "advisors" posts, directorships and newspaper columns ( nearly said newspaper rounds there, but nothing so useful). Most of them are as much use as tissue condoms in my opinion.

As for the spurious arguments about the time since their last pay rise - well,they were overpaid whenever it was, and as for losing star quality fringe benefits, -what special RIGHT have they ever had to them?

By the way, we played really quite well against Leicester. Long may that last !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here