Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*ALLEGEDLY* Championship players involved in match fixing *ALLEGEDLY*

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
apologies for the sources but just saw this on sky news in what the papers are saying section

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-match-fixing-national-crime-2904353

Police have launched a new investigation into allegations of match-fixing in football.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) told Sky News it is looking at claims passed to them by the Sun on Sunday.

The paper says it has evidence of a player who claimed he could arrange a yellow card in the Championship in return for thousands of pounds.

An NCA statement said: "We can confirm that the Sun on Sunday has passed material from its own investigation to the National Crime Agency.

"An active NCA investigation is now under way and we are working closely with the Football Association and the Gambling Commission.

"We cannot comment further at this stage."

Last month, the NCA announced it had started an investigation into what it described as "a suspected international illegal betting syndicate".

Gambling on the matches is thought to have taken place on Asian-based betting services and so far investigators to do not believe British betting markets are involved.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5311767/football-match-fixing-exposed-by-the-sun.html

TWO ex-Premier League stars are at the centre of a sensational police match-fixing probe after a Sun on Sunday investigation.

It comes after one player claimed another agreed to deliberately earn a booking in a recent Championship clash in return for a £30,000 payout.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
BBC in now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25288657

Police have opened a new investigation into match-fixing following allegations that a football player rigged a Championship game for cash.
The National Crime Agency (NCA) said it had been passed information by the Sun on Sunday newspaper.
An undercover reporter claimed to have met a player who said he could fix yellow cards in return for £30,000.
The Football League said it took claims of criminal activity "extremely seriously" and would assist police.

The player also allegedly told the Sun on Sunday reporter he could rig Premier League games and was prepared to fix matches at next year's World Cup.
The NCA said: "The NCA can confirm that the Sun on Sunday has passed material from its own investigation to the National Crime Agency.
"An active investigation is now under way and we are working closely with the Football Association and the Gambling Commission. We cannot comment further at this stage."
Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey encouraged anyone with any evidence to report it to the police.
Mr Harvey added: "We treat any allegations of criminal activity in our competitions with the utmost seriousness.
"We will be giving our full assistance to the police during their investigation."

In a separate NCA investigation into an alleged international betting syndicate, two non-league footballers were earlier this week charged with conspiracy to defraud.
Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun, both 22, play for Whitehawk FC, based in Brighton, in the Conference South.
Two other men, Singapore national Chann Sankaran, 33, and Krishna Sanjey Ganeshan, 43, who has dual UK and Singapore nationality, were charged with conspiracy to defraud in November.
The pair have been bailed and are due to appear at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on 11 December.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I can actually see truth in this as some footballers have gambling problems and debts, these players are possibly easy targets for organised crime and betting syndicates to clear off debts.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I'm worried cos The Sun says "Cops are ready to Swoop"........that means it must be us

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well this all seems pretty innocent, a booking here and there.
At least we can all be certain there's no other forms of cheating prevalent in top flight football. :whistle:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Well this all seems pretty innocent, a booking here and there.
At least we can all be certain there's no other forms of cheating prevalent in top flight football. :whistle:

Yeah, I didn`t even know people bet on yellow cards. I mean why would a bookie offer odds on something like that? Asking to be taken for a ride.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I would like to think, that if a player or players are responsible for this. Then any punishment dished out would not effect their clubs or supporters. The players on the other hand should be banned for life, with immediate effect.

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
Yeah, I didn`t even know people bet on yellow cards. I mean why would a bookie offer odds on something like that? Asking to be taken for a ride.

The exchanges (I.E Betfair) do it on most games. They aren't liable for paying out the bets, but it means you need people to match the bet.

An example being that in the Merseyside Derby, Gerrard would normally be around 2.5 to be booked at anytime (6/4 in old money).

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The exchanges (I.E Betfair) do it on most games. They aren't liable for paying out the bets, but it means you need people to match the bet.

An example being that in the Merseyside Derby, Gerrard would normally be around 2.5 to be booked at anytime (6/4 in old money).

Thanks, didn`t know. I don`t suppose it will be easy to get that bet matched any more!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it possible that somebody within our club took a bung for the 2nd leg game against Palace, taking into account the difference in the two games..

It would seem more likely that someone at the club needed a bung, before that game.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I'm pretty sure it would near impossible for anyone at our club to get up to that sort mischief. There is a certain person at our football club who I believe monitors the betting markets very closely and if there was anything untoward going on he'd be on it like flash and I don't mean placing a bet!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here