Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex Vs The Emirates

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
So a friend gave me a ticket to see Arsenal V Hull on Wednesday night and it was interesting to compare what the Gooners have compared to us and the typical gripes we get on NSC. So, in my opinion:

Stadium: the Amex is a better piece of design, definitely more interesting on the eye. The Emirates is VERY BIG but inside there are no quirks to make it feel unique. The build quality at the Amex is also better; Emirates felt a bit plastic and shoddy behind the scenes. Behind the scenes the concourses are drab and claustrophobic whereas on the WSU it is more spacious with windows looking over the Downs.
Catering: No real ale or pints at The Emirates...just plastic bottles of Carlsberg. Food = drab burger and chip fare served by the bored and untrained. Amex definitely wins on the catering front.
Atmosphere: Arsenal playing rings round Hull for fun and winning 2-0 generated no more than a few half hearted chants. There was a brief North Bank Vs Clock End call/return but nothing like as loud as our North Stand/West stand and they had twice the crowd. Amex wins on atmosphere no problem.
Leaving early: a constant gripe about Albion fans leaving 5 mins from the end is nothing compared to the mass exodus at Emirates with 10 mins to go! And outside people were running the quite long way to Highbury Corner, where you had to queue for 20 mins to get down the tube. Again the Amex experience is better.

So in summary, I reckon those who grumble about the Amex need to do a bit of competitor research and might appreciate what we've got a bit more...just saying.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You can't drive a lorry under the Amex.

Dandyman

In London village.
Plastic bottles. Plastic fans.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No disrespect to Hull, but this is probably the equivalent of us playing Rochdale on a Tuesday night. Not really one to stir the passions. Can't disagree about catering,facilities and early leavers though.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yes it is fantastic in certain respects, mainly scale, but my point is that people moan about aspects of The Amex experience but what we have stands up very strongly and is better in many ways than The Emirates.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Depends on what game you go to at the emirates then - i went to Arsenal vs Man United last season and it was a great atmosphere. Transport wasnt bad either, if you walk a further 10 minutes and use Finsbury Park station, its much quicker and easier to Victoria.

So many similarities to the Amex though - you can clearly see we took inspiration from the Emirates. The Amex isnt better than the Emirates by a longshot im afraid.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Typical Brighton tinted glasses rubbish I'm afraid.

My company is lucky enough to have a box at the Emirates so I'm quite a frequent visitor to the big European nights when a ticket is free and the Albion don't have a game. On those occasions the atmosphere is far better than The Amex. As for the transport, I find it far quicker and easier to get out of the Emirates due to the fact there are three train station options within walking distance. And they are more reliant on public transport than even we are.

Agree with the food and drink aspects however, but then we are quite unique in the fare that is on offer for a club in the top two divisions anyway.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Would that be one of the boxes that were mainly empty on Wednesday night because the corporates can only get freeloaders in on the "big" nights to rattle their jewellery? And if your experience of Emirates is in a corporate box area of the ground how can you tell me that the concourse areas/seating/regular fan experience is better at Emirates than the Amex? I dare say when Barcelona are at Emirates the excitement will be greater, but that doesn't explain virtually no singing Vs Hull, and fans leaving en masse 10 mins from the end when 2-0 up and sitting at the top of the prem. How does reporting that make my perspective tinted Black Nod?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I went to the Arsenal Liverpool game at the end of October, which gave me the chance to see the inside of the Emirates for the first time. Used to frequent Highbury in my earlier years, where a close mate of mine now lives(by the way). The Emirates is streets ahead of the Amex. I'm more than happy with the Amex though. It's a nice fit.

Last edited:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I went to the Arsenal Liverpool game at the end of October, which gave me the chance to see the inside of the Emirates for the first time. Used to frequent Highbury in my earlier years, where a close mate of mine now lives(by the way). The Emirates is streets ahead of the Amex. I'm more than happy with the Amex though. It's a nice fit.

In what respects streets ahead? Scale, yes. Great atmosphere at The Amex today, way louder than both times I've been to Emirates...and that pint of Harveys at half time compared to a plastic bottle of Carlsberg.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Wow your mate really doesn't like you, did he give you a ticket for your last visit, a tasty Tue night carling cup fixture . I really don't think you can compare such different stadiums. The Amex is unique and amazing, a boutique version of the Emirates. Transport is much better at the emirates if you don't follow everyone to the closest station

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Who gives a f..k about the Emirates, I love the AMEX and the Albion and waited long enough for our stunning stadium.
The AMEX wins for Albion fans 100%

A few Arsenal fans and plastics on here I think???

my garden's bigger than your garden....what a load of old tosh, What made Withdean better than Old Trafford for me was the people I was surrounded with, likewise The Goldstone was the greatest football ground I've ever been to. What I like about the Amex is the friends I've made in my East Lower block, I wouldn't have made those friends at Arsenal v Barcelona. Piddinghoe Avenue is a great 'Stadium' on a Tuesday night when a dozen of us are having a few beers and a great laugh, the 'concorse' at half time is better too, it's in the warm, the beer's in a glass and it's only three quid. Too much emphasis on bricks, morter and plastic seats these days

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Amex is light years ahead of Emirates.
Because Arsenal don't have discos under the stands at the end of their matches with away fans invited and a pint of ale in your hand.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
In what respects streets ahead? Scale, yes. Great atmosphere at The Amex today, way louder than both times I've been to Emirates...and that pint of Harveys at half time compared to a plastic bottle of Carlsberg.

I agree with you regarding the Harveys. That is it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here