Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Looks like it will happen.

A little unfortunate that we have another "slightly stretching it" minutes applause on the back of the one last week.

Absolutely no disrespect intended to Nelson Mandela, or the chap from Sussex FA, but we could find ourselves doing this more often than not if the current trend continues...

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Glad we don't have every leader or spokeman or freedom fighter drop dead at once as we'll be applauding for 90 minutes and the game will be cancelled.

I Don't know the bloke. Does the Albion holed minute silence for fans who have passed away? I'd rather give an Albion fan a minute applause.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I see no point whatsoever in holding a minutes applause tomorrow. Its an event completely unconnected with football - this desire to have football crowds show their respects to unrelated world events is puzzling.

The minutes silence held at the Amex on Remembrance weekend for James Brynin, the Albion fan tragically killed in service, was entirely justified (and beautifully and poignantly obvserved). There's a real connection there. But much as we all (well most) respect and admire Nelson Mandela and his extraordinairy life, surely anyone wishing to pay their respects to his passing will have done so in their own way. Why it apparently has to be publically observed and foisted onto all football fans who happen to be going to a match this weekend is beyond me.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
No disrespect intended but I think these "celebrations" are getting out of hand. It's a football match for goodness sake. I will pay my respects in my own way not at a football stadium.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no, there shouldnt be. nothing to do with this country or football.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I see no point whatsoever in holding a minutes applause tomorrow. Its an event completely unconnected with football - this desire to have football crowds show their respects to unrelated world events is puzzling.

The minutes silence held at the Amex on Remembrance weekend for James Brynin, the Albion fan tragically killed in service, was entirely justified (and beautifully and poignantly obvserved). There's a real connection there. But much as we all (well most) respect and admire Nelson Mandela and his extraordinairy life, surely anyone wishing to pay their respects to his passing will have done so in their own way. Why it apparently has to be publically observed and foisted onto all football fans who happen to be going to a match this weekend is beyond me.

Correct Mr Easy 10

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Agree with @Easy 10 but I guess if the FA sends a diktat out then clubs must obey. I dislike forced 'mourning' at events unless it's relevant to that particular occasion.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

This

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
They had a minutes silence ahead of the Ashes test match last night. Was all very awkward.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
These are getting ridiculous now. That Muamba one was a particular low point. This was the match where the Brighton team were led out by an injured soldier who had both legs blown away whilst serving his country. The sight of seeing him on the pitch applaud a bloke for surviving a heart attack was like something from Alice in Wonderland.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Damn, now I'll have to leave 11 minutes before the end.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do not think its necessary. But if the club decide it is then surely a minute's silence is more fitting/appropriate? A minute's applause would seem a bit undignified IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here