Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC is making a real meal of Mandela's death. No surprise there then.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thought I'd watch the ten o'clock news to catch up on what has been going on in parliament, the flooding threat, and other world and national news.

I find that Nelson Mandela has died ... hardly unexpected ... and for 40 minutes so far there has been nothing except reports about his death, reaction to his death, his life, etc.

We already knew all of this. Each person being interviewed has repeated the same stuff. The BBC correspondents have all said the same stuff. They have repeated the same bits of film time and time again.

Mandela was a great man who I very much admire. Probably one of the world's greatest statesmen. BUT couldn't the BBC have given us five minutes of Mandela at 10pm, then covered the rest of the news, then gone back to Mandela for however long they sought fit for those who wished to watch and hear more?

Typically rubbish handling of the situation by the Beeb.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You've got it wrong.

As has been tweeted by @NotAliGrey:
'The BBC interrupt Mrs Brown's Boys to break the news of Mandela's death. Ending the suffering of millions even after his death. Legend."

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The coverage seems to me to be wholly appropriate to the significance of the event, and the greatness of the man.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You know me, normally happy to slate the hand wringing brigade. On this occasion I am pleased to be one of those mourning the loss of a person I never met. Someone who undoubtedly made the world a better place without regard to himself.

A sainthood will follow, the sooner the better.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
I felt a bit like that on the day of Diana's death, but Mandela is a bit different. One of THE most significant figures of the 20th Century worldwide, and a real, real hero. A truly inspirational figure.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Presumably you have found the Internet, as you have just posted on it. Why not use it, if you want other news?

You know your problems with the media, the disabled, the armed forces, just about everything else... I think you may be the problem.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've got some sympathy with the OP on this.

I totally agree that we have just lost one of the most influential and important figures of our lifetime, but thousands of people have been directly affected by the storm and floods so it seems odd that absolutely no mention has been made in an hour of news.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've got no sympathy with the OP. You want news on what else is happening? It's bloody easy to find so stop whinging. Of course it's appropriate to mark his death this way.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I've got some sympathy with the OP on this.

I totally agree that we have just lost one of the most influential and important figures of our lifetime, but thousands of people have been directly affected by the storm and floods so it seems odd that absolutely no mention has been made in an hour of news.

Coverage is available online.

Mandela was one of the greatest and most influential people to have ever existed and was a worldwide icon - rolling coverage is appropriate. At least the BBC coverage is sensitive, respectful and simple, where as you have ITV refusing to interrupt Im a Celebrity, saying that "Mandela is dead" instead of being a bit more sensitive and then just going back to normal programming.

The BBC have got it bang on - it is the ONLY channel now doing rolling coverage - remember that BBC News is global.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I stopped watching the news because of this. He may have been a truly great man who deserves to be remembered but that doesn't mean they can't talk about some other news for a while.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I stopped watching the news because of this. He may have been a truly great man who deserves to be remembered but that doesn't mean they can't talk about some other news for a while.

The only other news is the Autumn Statement, match-fixing and the flooding/storms - and yes admittedly that is big news, but it was covered during the local news on BBC.

If you want other news, it is freely available online.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nelson Mandela put his heart and soul into regime change, with great dignity and eloguence.

The OP can't even channel change (or even reach for the Off button on his remote) without pathetic whining.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The only other news is the Autumn Statement, match-fixing and the flooding/storms - and yes admittedly that is big news, but it was covered during the local news on BBC.

If you want other news, it is freely available online.

The snooker scheduled for 11.20 isn't ..........BBC1 has rolling coverage, and newsnight has also been devoted to the Mandela story.........so both channels for last 45mins.

Tragic as the news is, the Selby vs Hawkins match has the potential to be an absolute cracker..........

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The snooker scheduled for 11.20 isn't ..........BBC1 has rolling coverage, and newsnight has also been devoted to the Mandela story.........so both channels for last 45mins.

Tragic as the news is, the Selby vs Hawkins match has the potential to be an absolute cracker..........

You are unbelievable. I really hope the Mandela family are taking note. Wouldn't want the funeral to clash with the O'Sullivan vs Selby match. Jesus what about the darts and the mega trucks final too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here