Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biometric Entry To Your 'Community' Stadium Anyone?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well folks, according to my trusted stewarding source up at Falmer, the East Stand Stewards have been 'signing in' for work using their electronically read finger-print recently. Call me cynical, but I certainly don't think they're being singled out as a particularly disreputable group. My gut-feeling is they're being used as Guinea Pigs for an entrance system that the club are looking to use in future for the rest of us match going peasants. You may well think that it's a great idea: saving you the bother of having your plastic or paper ticket with you when you rock up at the turnstiles. Others, however, will see it as an affront to your personal liberty & will be sickened to know that our club looks to have an increased level of control over: our personal information; individual support; who we decide to give our ticket(s) to (or not); and where we stand (or sit, as it were) in this brave new corperate world.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what I think about it, but you're very welcome to say exactly what YOU think about this issue (assuming that it's true)...

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I can't see how it would be workable on such a large scale as would be needed to use it as an entry method for fans - unless it was optional and the current methods were still acceptable.

Building up a compulsory fingerprint database of 23,000+ STHs, plus everyone who has the ability to buy a ticket, plus anyone who might fancy buying a ticket for the first time....impossible, and would cause far more trouble than good (although I can't really see what good it would do in any case).

Does anyone know of any other clubs who use such a system? Surely if it were in any way beneficial, someone would have done it before now?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Terrible idea. The club should encourage us to give our tickets to friends and family when we can't go.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The mind boggles at the thought at the catering staff trying to cope with another system - it's taken them two years to get cards processed quickly

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Terrible idea. The club should encourage us to give our tickets to friends and family when we can't go.

It's not an idea; it's a conclusion that OP has made a massive jump to reach. Like has been posted above: it's a completely impractical idea even if it were possible.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well folks, according to my trusted stewarding source up at Falmer, the East Stand Stewards have been 'signing in' for work using their electronically read finger-print recently. Call me cynical, but I certainly don't think they're being singled out as a particularly disreputable group. My gut-feeling is they're being used as Guinea Pigs for an entrance system that the club are looking to use in future for the rest of us match going peasants.

I think you may be on to something there Ms Toes. Looks HIGHLY suspicious ???

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's not an idea; it's a conclusion that OP has made a massive jump to reach. Like has been posted above: it's a completely impractical idea even if it were possible.

Well I have made my conclusions (based on the information that I have been given), but I'm not generally up for a conspiracy theory. If what I've conveyed is true, why would the club get one particular group of stewards to use an electronic entry system on matchdays & not the rest? Does it not strike you as being either: (a) odd or (b) intentional??

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well I have made my conclusions (based on the information that I have been given), but I'm not generally up for a conspiracy theory. If what I've conveyed is true, why would the club get one particular group of stewards to use an electronic entry system on matchdays & not the rest? Does it not strike you as being either: (a) odd or (b) intentional??

They're clearly experimenting to see whether or not to roll it out to all match day staff. It's the modern form of clocking in. Now go get you tin-foil hat back on.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's not exactly unusual for places of work to require staff to access entry with a finger/thumb print scanner, perhaps the OP has not been to any large scale distribution depots, construction sites, in fact many places where numbers of contractors go to work on sites where your whereabouts may change during the working day. It helps in the case of evacuation to know who,is on site, likewise for clocking in purposes. It's no biggie, and shows a degree of occupational responsibility.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think you may be on to something there Ms Toes. Looks HIGHLY suspicious ???

EEEEEEEEK! :ohmy:

ps If they ain't bad enough, God help us if The Squizzer Menace bypass the ring o' steel in & around our local footy club. Scary Scenes.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I worked in Wetherspoons (the Bright Helm, for the record) over the summer, and it was standard practice to sign in and out using a fingerprint device. Apparently it prevents people signing in manually on behalf of themselves and someone else who can't be arsed to go into work.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They're clearly experimenting to see whether or not to roll it out to all match day staff. It's the modern form of clocking in. Now go get you tin-foil hat back on.

Thanks for the patronising reply. Not that I expect anything else, given your location... :rolleyes:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's not exactly unusual for places of work to require staff to access entry with a finger/thumb print scanner, perhaps the OP has not been to any large scale distribution depots, construction sites, in fact many places where numbers of contractors go to work on sites where your whereabouts may change during the working day. It helps in the case of evacuation to know who,is on site, likewise for clocking in purposes. It's no biggie, and shows a degree of occupational responsibility.

Thanks for that Phil. It just goes to show that it is possible to pass on experience & knowledge without belittling the genuine concerns of other Albion supporters. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here