Platini wants sin bin rule introduced

Sin bin, yes or no?

• Total voters

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
No.

But Ipossibly agree with him about goalkeepers and penalties though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game,"

He lets himself down straight away. In Rugby you have to do something pretty wrong to get a yellow. It's a suitable punishment

Football is not rugby.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
There are too many penalties and sendings off already. Sin bins might add to the entertainment, but will put too much extra pressure on referees.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You'd soon stop all the ridiculous haranguing of refs, and diving and feigning injury from players, if it was 15 minutes in the bin for every offence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes.

Referee's are limited in their control of players. Too many games ruined by red cards as once a yellow is issued, there is no alternative. A red should be a last resort for the most severe of offences. Yellow cards followed by a sin bin would give refs a a greater range of maintaining control on the pitch.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Yellow cards to stay, but use sin bins for unacceptance verbal towards the officials. Give them 10 / 15 mins to cool down.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Don't particularly agree with his description of it working, but in principle I agree with a sin-bin process for certain offences.

There are plenty of times when I think a yellow isn't enough but a red would be harsh. I don't think the Yellow should automatically become sin-bin time, my solution would be:

Yellow - as present for any single serious or persistent minor technical infringements of the rules
SinBin - new category of offences covering persistent time wasting, diving and disrespecting the referee
Red - Mostly as is eg violent conduct, multiple lesser offences, handball in the box

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
As has been said Rugby is completely different and referees have much better authority and only issue yellow cards if a player offends 3 times or more, or commits a more serious offence. In football yellow cards are given for absolutely nothing sometimes, it would mean refereeing mistakes could alter games even more which is not a good thing.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes - I would probably want fewer offences to be punishable though - although definitely all abuse. Currently I think teams expect to receive a number of bookings in the nature of the game - Mistimed tackles without malice for example

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Like the idea about the Champions League place for domestic cup winners. Would give the FA Cup more meaning again. Disagree with the Sin bin idea though.

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This would introduce a whole new layer of cynicism. It doesn't mater how you frame this law, plenty of coaches will be working on the best ways to exploit this from day one.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Don't particularly agree with his description of it working, but in principle I agree with a sin-bin process for certain offences.

There are plenty of times when I think a yellow isn't enough but a red would be harsh. I don't think the Yellow should automatically become sin-bin time, my solution would be:

Yellow - as present for any single serious or persistent minor technical infringements of the rules
SinBin - new category of offences covering persistent time wasting, diving and disrespecting the referee
Red - Mostly as is eg violent conduct, multiple lesser offences, handball in the box

Yes - this sounds good. I agree that it can't be a like-for-like replacement for the yellow card, but can be used to cut out instances of players being c***s.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In an ideal world YES, but I could see this resulting in carnage, i.e. players that should have received a straight red instead getting a sin bin, then coming back to score. Or, yellow card being uplifted incorrectly to a sin bin and the penalised team conceding minutes later.

The game is getting faster, there's more money so more a stake which means more cheating, so the introduction of a sin bin will make things even harder for referees. This is why I favour the referee consulting with his assistants much more than he does already (see American football, Aussie Rules, baseball where offiicals work as a team)

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Players conning refs to sin bin an opponent doesn't sit easy with me.

Also by aboloshing the sending off of a keeper could lead to more 'professional' fouls as there's a chance you could save the penalty. Seems like tinkering for the sake of it or for Platini to believe he's leaving a legacy.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Sin Bin should not replace a yellow but I have long thought there should be a middle ground between a yellow and a red. So an orange card would mean a 10 minute sin bin.

It can be a straight orange, say, for abuse, or it could be for two yellows that doesn't warrant a red. Kicking the ball away or taking your shirt off are stupid but hardly justify a red if you do it twice, particularly when some bad fouls only get a yellow.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
In principle it sounds an alright idea but playing with say, 10 men for 10 minutes when you're on the back foot already then having a player take a breather and come back fresher could be something of an advantage.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
All for it. Immediate and relevant to the match being played.
Referee abuse and unsportsmanship behaviour such as diving and time wasting would be a thing of the past IF enforced properly. It's a big 'if' though.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Penalties are often given because an offence has been committed in an effort to stop either a certain goal or a close range shot. When you give a penalty to the team that had the goal or close range shot taken away by their opponent breaking the law, you're just putting things back how they would have been without the defending team cheating, how is that punishment? If I steal someone's car and the police catch me and give that person their car back, I haven't been punished. Giving a team a penalty is the same as giving someone their car back. The rule breaker isn't punished, he just has his rule breaking negated.

The idea that keepers, or any player, should not be punished because a penalty is punishment enough is, imo, wrong. A penalty (despite its name) isn't punishment, it's an attempt to give the attacking team something that was illicitly taken from them. The booking or sending off is the punishment, and people who break the laws of the game should be punished.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here