Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No government borrowing in 2018/19 .....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
..... really ??? That seems quite an impressive feat if true !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25233233

I remember when I ran a small business in the late 80's, I would present the bank with quite an in depth business plan, it looked slick and all the figures were backed up logically with what my projections suggested.

It was to justify the bank giving me the necessary funds required and they did and I was grateful.

Always in my plans, year 3 showed increased profits and my obligations to the bank diminished, I believed it and my bank manager was happy to support me.

It never happened and every-time I hear the budget or political statement I give a wry smile when we are told how our public finances will look so much better in year 3, 4 and 5.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No NEW government borrowing. Very different to saying that Government borrowing will be gone. Even if this is met, which it won't be if Labour get back in, we are still in major shit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No NEW government borrowing.

Surely break even is a good start though ? Then we need to pay back what we've already borrowed.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I bet they promise to cut civil servants too.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Surely break even is a good start though ? Then we need to pay back what we've already borrowed.

Yep but if you think about how they plan to get there, just to a break even point will require significant cuts and hardship. To then start to reduce the Government borrowing they will have to go even further. That means significant cuts in all public sector services, delaying pensions or increasing taxes. People are moaning about cuts in services already when they haven't even really even begun. For them to achieve what they are saying there will be a lot of pain, to start reducing the debt they will have to cut back so significantly that everyone will notice the difference. Perhaps the end of NHS for example.

I'm not saying any of this is wrong, I personally think it is very necessary, and the public sector is a beast that needs taming, but it will hurt, and people need to realise that now, and buy into the fact that for the benefit of the next generation we need to cut our cloth accordingly.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
That will change if Labour gain power. They'll bring the country to its knees.

:lolol: The ConDems already have this country on It's knees blowing off America. But on a serious note. I honestly can't see how much further down this country and be brought down. As far as I'm concerned anyway. The Great was taken out of Britain long ago.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
:lolol: The ConDems already have this country on It's knees blowing off America. But on a serious note. I honestly can't see how much further down this country and be brought down. As far as I'm concerned anyway. The Great was taken out of Britain long ago.

Not a pop at you personally but I'd be interested to hear from those who oppose the current plans to balance the books and how they suggest we, as a country, stop living on credit ?

Dec 29, 2011

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Not a pop at you personally but I'd be interested to hear from those who oppose the current plans to balance the books and how they suggest we, as a country, stop living on credit ?

That's an Interesting question really. I could say try stop them from giving themselves huge bonuses and claiming expenses on everything they do. Or In my case believe they don't do and look at It In a more In-depth manner. The banks along with the Tories are the main cause of this I believe. Both of them pick and choose as and when to give themselves big bonuses and line their own pockets. I know that wasn't an answer but taking everything and or selling It all won't repair the damage this has done. As for how to deal with It. The only way I could possibly think Is by getting a new government In. The way this government Is running. We may as well be In Hitler's Germany Is I feel we are bordering communism. We get told what to do, where to do It, When to do it. Slowly does It we are getting dragged back to the Victorian time's. Unfortunately there has been online petitions asking to do a general election but they refused. If I can find the statement. I will post It. But as one person there's nothing I could do to balance the books. I'm just small fry. Just a thought though If this government was run like a football team and losing money left right and centre. they should cut the fat off the lazy top earners who do nothing. Possibly get the MP's to live on a normal minimum wage. We're suppose to be In this together right?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That's an Interesting question really. I could say try stop them from giving themselves huge bonuses and claiming expenses on everything they do. Or In my case believe they don't do and look at It In a more In-depth manner. The banks along with the Tories are the main cause of this I believe. Both of them pick and choose as and when to give themselves big bonuses and line their own pockets. I know that wasn't an answer but taking everything and or selling It all won't repair the damage this has done. As for how to deal with It. The only way I could possibly think Is by getting a new government In. The way this government Is running. We may as well be In Hitler's Germany Is I feel we are bordering communism. We get told what to do, where to do It, When to do it. Slowly does It we are getting dragged back to the Victorian time's. Unfortunately there has been online petitions asking to do a general election but they refused. If I can find the statement. I will post It. But as one person there's nothing I could do to balance the books. I'm just small fry. Just a thought though If this government was run like a football team and losing money left right and centre. they should cut the fat off the lazy top earners who do nothing. Possibly get the MP's to live on a normal minimum wage. We're suppose to be In this together right?

Cutting what MPs earn or claim, while morally justifiable, won't cure the debt issue. You somewhat contradict yourself with :

"We may as well be In Hitler's Germany Is I feel we are bordering communism." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitler was extreme right wing ( and hated communism ) and communism is extreme left wing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Interesting thoughts, complete bo**ocks but interesting nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here