Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car tax discs scrapped after 93 years.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Announced as part of the Autumn mini budget.
Hooray! It's such a faff remembering to get one each time.
They are giving people a direct debit option now too, which will cost 5% on buying it for the whole year. I'll probably go for that option.

Prepare to work til you're 70 is the not so good news!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
About bloody time too. The cost of issuing them and the fees paid to the post office must have been huge !!! Now all they need to do is scrap VED altogether and put it on fuel. That way those that do the most mileage will pay the most and we will also get money off people visiting the country.

about bloody time too. The cost of issuing them and the fees paid to the post office must have been huge !!! Now all they need to do is scrap ved altogether and put it on fuel. That way those that do the most mileage will pay the most and we will also get money off people visiting the country.

And save alot of administration costs,a insurance disc would be more useful???

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
About bloody time too. The cost of issuing them and the fees paid to the post office must have been huge !!! Now all they need to do is scrap VED altogether and put it on fuel. That way those that do the most mileage will pay the most and we will also get money off people visiting the country.

Always bugged me. I use my car, maybe once a week, but pay as much as someone who does thousands of miles a year. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Always bugged me. I use my car, maybe once a week, but pay as much as someone who does thousands of miles a year. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Indeed - my partner has a sports car and she does less than 5k a year ( sometimes much less ) yet her VED is twice the amount it is for my car in which I do 30k+ a year. Stupid.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
And save alot of administration costs,a insurance disc would be more useful???

There's no need for an insurance disc as all cars insured ( bar a VERY few exceptions ) are on a database available to the authorities.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
And, still we await an explanation of why a system whereby those that use the roads aren't the ones that pay for it?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto

It is annoying, I pay £280 a year VED for my car because it has pretty high CO emissions. However, I only do about 5-6,000 miles a year so if it's based on environmental impact I'm doing less damage than someone who pays say £90 and does 20,000 miles.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012

Bloody rediculous idead!!
Let’s encourage the government and fuel companies to increase the price of fuel further…?
What do think that will do to the prices likes of every day groceries etc etc…(which are already too high), Delivery lorries need the fuel to transport goods around don’t they…?
Not to mention the effect it will have on public transport! I can’t imagine that the bus companies, taxis etc would not increase their fares which in turn might just be the breaking point for some people in terms of getting to work... thus creating an even bigger unemployment problem!

Getting rid of the disc I don’t see as a bad thing, but keep the annual fee and incorporate the MOT/Tax/insurance database in a better way that can be enforced properly.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Not if you include fuel duty you don't.

VED is a good thing, it's only a tiny amount compared to the amount motorists spend on fuel duty - but it discourages many people to buy cars that are bad for the environment, particularly young people.

Rubbish - young people are discouraged by high insurance premiums not the VED. Those that can afford cars with high VED ( the sports cars and 4x4's ) don't even consider the VED as it's such a small amount compared to the cost of the car.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Bloody rediculous idead!!
Let’s encourage the government and fuel companies to increase the price of fuel further…?
What do think that will do to the prices likes of every day groceries etc etc…(which are already too high), Delivery lorries need the fuel to transport goods around don’t they…?
Not to mention the effect it will have on public transport! I can’t imagine that the bus companies, taxis etc would not increase their fares which in turn might just be the breaking point for some people in terms of getting to work... thus creating an even bigger unemployment problem!

Getting rid of the disc I don’t see as a bad thing, but keep the annual fee and incorporate the MOT/Tax/insurance database in a better way that can be enforced properly.

To be blunt, you'd argue the opposite of anything I suggested so I can't be bothered to debate with you.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
For nostalgia

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's a genuine point actualy!
Increasing fuel prices further will have a massive knock on effect to everybodys way of life

Isnt the point, not getting rid of the tax take but just a different collection process.

The costs remains, whichever way you collect it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Finally, been saying for years you should be able to do by DD, finally!

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Isnt the point, not getting rid of the tax take but just a different collection process.

The costs remains, whichever way you collect it.

For me personaly that's fine, but the suggestion of scrapping the cost of the VED and instead put the price of fuel up further to penalise the higher millage motorist is simply daft!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here