Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ripper Street Axed

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
Have been enjoying this series but now the cast and crew are shocked as the powers to be are axing it due to poor ratings. Series one on a Sunday evening had 8 million viewing so some bright spark decided to move it to a Monday where viewing figures dropped to 3.5 million. I for one will miss it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was a bit gritty to say the least, however, maybe they are running out of linked historical events that they could build scripts around. The dialogue was patchy and there are only so many times that you can see Jerome Flynn involved in a bare knuckle fight while Inspector Reid waxes lyrical and espouses Victorian morality.

If you like blood and gore there is still Casualty and Holby City. If you want class, Sherlock is back on the 1 st of January.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
First series was OK but the second series has been patchy and a little flimsy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thought it merited a 3rd series but the BBC would rather spend its budget on crap like Strictly Come Dancing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thought it merited a 3rd series but the BBC would rather spend its budget on crap like Strictly Come Dancing.

It's bums on seats. Tv companies don't like to risk money on a programme with large costs that may not succeed. Better to invest in the same tired safe options.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Quirky period crime drama that has some good storylines. Shame it's become a victim of BBC's dumbing down process.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Quirky period crime drama that has some good storylines. Shame it's become a victim of BBC's dumbing down process.

But dumbing down is what BBC1 is for, pandering to the lowest possible common denominator. I don't even look at the schedules for Beeb1 these days, there is nothing ever worth watching.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's bums on seats. Tv companies don't like to risk money on a programme with large costs that may not succeed. Better to invest in the same tired safe options.
I thought it had some potential for the BBC to recoup the production costs from selling to overseas networks and DVD/BluRay sales. I wonder with all this dumbing down whether or not we'll eventually see the TV Licence scrapped and the BBC dependent on advertising ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought it had some potential for the BBC to recoup the production costs from selling to overseas networks and DVD/BluRay sales. I wonder with all this dumbing down whether or not we'll eventually see the TV Licence scrapped and the BBC dependent on advertising ?

Yes, very true BBC output often relies on cash generated overseas in sales or collaboration ( especially natural history) with foreign channels but I don't think it will shed the licence fee for some time to come. Imagine the BBC like ITV/Sky and I shudder at the thought.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And yet Benefits Street marches on...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
8 more episodes , better than nothing.

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour
To be honest, I suspect this documentary has been axed as it seemed to almost glorify this horrendous area of London, where there seemed to be a lot of crime going on. Perhaps the police objected to the show on the grounds that it didn't show them in a very good light, as the crime rate didn't really seem to be improving at all?

To be honest, I suspect this documentary has been axed as it seemed to almost glorify this horrendous area of London, where there seemed to be a lot of crime going on. Perhaps the police objected to the show on the grounds that it didn't show them in a very good light, as the crime rate didn't really seem to be improving at all?

..A documentary filmed in late Victorian London as I recall having watched a few episodes and quite enjoyed them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here