Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6 points off play offs...

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Given our summer I told mates in August that if we were within 6 of the play offs come the New Year I'd be a very happy man. What would you be happy with come Jan 1st and why?

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
One hundred BILLION dollars.

Because I'd be able to build a super villain lair.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Always said that if we are within 5 points of the playoffs on Dec 31, then we are still in with a shout of making top 6, and even promotion.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
70 points is usually a good marker for 6th. I'd be happy if we we still had a realistic chance of making that total on 1st Jan. I'd say that with a fully fit squad, anything less than 1.75 points a game - 40 points in total for the 2nd half of the season - is achievable. So 5 points from the next 5 games to reach that cut off.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
36 points by New Year to be on course for top 6.

That's 11 points required from the next 5 games:

Brighton v Leicester (1)
Middlesbrough v Brighton (1)
Brighton v Huddersfield (3)
Charlton v Brighton (3)
Blackpool v Brighton (1)

Total predicted is 9 points (from 5 games).
34 points, not too bad for half a season without key players.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The number of points between us and a playoff position is one way of looking at it, more important though are the number of teams between us and a playoff position.

Currently there are 5 teams that in simple terms we have to out-perform to the tune of at least two wins whilst at the same time hoping that the two teams just behind us don't win one more game than we do.

A tall order having already lost to three of the five above us this season making a result against Blackpool and Huddersfield this month even more important.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
3rd round draw away to Manchester United.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The number of points between us and a playoff position is one way of looking at it, more important though are the number of teams between us and a playoff position.

Currently there are 5 teams that in simple terms we have to out-perform to the tune of at least two wins whilst at the same time hoping that the two teams just behind us don't win one more game than we do.

A tall order having already lost to three of the five above us this season making a result against Blackpool and Huddersfield this month even more important.

Nah. This is the championship and anyone can beat anyone. Head to head records mean very little; we just have to make sure that there are 18 teams with fewer points than us.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A play-off place is quite within our reach given a fully fit squad, which I think is stronger than last year -certainly seems to be more depth with the emergence of younger players given a chance so far. The league seems to be as topsy turvy as last year with the proverbial "everyone can beat everyone in this league". I think it is fair to say that one of the reasons why the Albion reached the play-offs last year was because other teams messed up at the death, and I can recall several Saturdays when so many results went our way in particular during that awful period when we got one point from three away games. There are again many teams at or near the top and they have to play each other so there is always scope for rivals' points to be lost or shared. But if the squad plays as we know they can, then the Maths becomes irrelevant . . .

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Nah. This is the championship and anyone can beat anyone. Head to head records mean very little; we just have to make sure that there are 18 teams with fewer points than us.

Maybe - but it's 3 out of 3 losses against the 5 teams between us and the playoffs - if it becomes 4 out of 4 it won't be looking good.

9 home league games this season and we've watched just 3 wins - that's only 1 more than Palace fans have seen in 7 games!

Doesn't make me overly optimistic.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Reasonably happy with the current position. Of course anything can still happen, but it looks like the automatic spots are not within our grasp. I feel that consistency may cost us a play-off place this year. If I had to put a bet on a finishing place, I'd say 8th, as of now.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The fact that we're in our current league position, and have dropped points in games like the one on Tuesday, tells us that we're not currently a side that has realistic promotion hopes.

Yes, of course it's tight in this league, and we've seen what the likes of Reading have done in the Championship after a slow start. We could scrape into the play-offs and, possibly, win the final.

But I'd rather we stormed this league and burst into the Premiership than fluke our way in after a mixed season. I know others would rather get there by any means possible and grab the money, but I'd settle for more seasons in the Championship, personally.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Considering I have no expectation of promotion at the start of the season I won't be too disappointed if we are only in the top dozen come the new year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here