Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proof that the UK is SICK of the Tories

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Not read your article, but do you suggest that the Government invests more money into the NHS and thus increases the deficit and therefore the debt the country has?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And of course the Guardian holds such a balanced view !

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
The root of this problem was Labour's massive balls up with the GP contracts. Harder to call your GP with some issue out of hours so they go to A&E instead.

Not that the the coalition can absolve themselves but this is not singularly a "tory" thing for anyone other than those cheaply taking political shots.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The root of this problem was Labour's massive balls up with the GP contracts.

That was quite something, from what I understand. I don't know the details, but it seems they got paid a shedload more money for doing less cover, especially out of hours.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OP now being around as tiresome as his issues with 1901 food.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The roots of the current problems in the NHS were unfortunately initiated by the last Labour government:

1. PFI schemes
2. The GP contract
3. The Consultant contract
4. An obsession with targets, particularly financial targets, which led Trusts to ignore other things like patient safety and service quality
5. A highly centralised and bureaucratic command and control system
6. More Quangos than you could shake a stick at

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The root of this problem was Labour's massive balls up with the GP contracts. Harder to call your GP with some issue out of hours so they go to A&E instead.

yep, along with changes to reduce the targets focus of the previous administration, people previously would have been "uncounted" to avoid having to have them seen and resolved in x time. no one really know howmuch of this was going on, but apparently there are glaring anomolies in data if you know where to look.

You can't really argue with the government publicised official figures

i'm understand from people in the medical data industry that they would, and do.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
people previously would have been "uncounted" to avoid having to have them seen and resolved in x time. no one really know how much of this was going on, but apparently there are glaring anomolies in data if you know where to look.

When under a Labour government I unfortunately has to visit hospital a number of times. Each time, almost as soon as I arrived, I was put on some scales and weighed. Result being I'd been seen - easy manipulation of the figures !

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The roots of the current problems in the NHS were unfortunately initiated by the last Labour government:

1. PFI schemes
2. The GP contract
3. The Consultant contract
4. An obsession with targets, particularly financial targets, which led Trusts to ignore other things like patient safety and service quality
5. A highly centralised and bureaucratic command and control system
6. More Quangos than you could shake a stick at

Astute that gibseagull is

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When under a Labour government I unfortunately has to visit hospital a number of times. time, almost as soon as I arrived, I was put on some scales and weighed. Result being I'd been seen - easy manipulation of the figures !

The thread is about A & E and I'm not aware that visitors to that dept are weighed as soon as they get through the door, if at all! I know what you mean about regular appointments as my mother did the same but she had cancer and monitoring weight was quite important.

As for the criticism of targets, they might not hae been ideal but perhaps people should consider the waiting time to see consultants back in the 80s and 90s.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The NHS is the most important establishment in the country, as well as the largest employer. If I ran the country I would invest significantly more money into it.

how much more would you invest? and in what areas?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not read your article, but do you suggest that the Government invests more money into the NHS and thus increases the deficit and therefore the debt the country has?

I was going to ask why you're so obsessed with debt, but will put that down to the state of contemporary political discourse. Sometimes, recessions and depressions for instance, it is wise for governments to go into debt. Note that the ratio of UK government debt to GDP is about 80% at present. It was over 200% in 1945, yet we still managed to create Britain's finest institution then, not to mention a strong, stable growing economy that drastically reduced both poverty and economic inequality. UK government debt has been higher than at present for about 200 years out of the last 250.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The party that isn't in power has all of the answers. When that party gets into power, the party that isn't in power has all of the answers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here