Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expectations of players

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If we sign a player as a League 1 team, and then rapidly progress to the top end of the Championship - is it fair to expect that same player to be good enough for the team? Personally, I think it's unreasonable to expect someone we signed as a League 1 club to be good enough in a team now vying for promotion to the Premier League.

We've evolved the majority of our squad, but there are a couple of improvements to be made, and Oscar will oversee them. I understand frustration, but not outright unreasonable expectations.

I am not referring to any player in particular. :jester:

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And if said "league 1 player" played a significant part into the team getting to tenth in the first season, then built on that achievement and followed it up with a second championship season in which they finished fourth in the division, suggesting that they are capable of succeeding in this division?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
regarding expectations last night. People literally turned up to watch us score a hatful. Moaning and vile being spouted at the players when Barnsley even dared to touch the ball in our half. Pretty disgusting.

Saturday we need to step up and the positives need to out sing the moany (mostly jcl) negatives

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You expect young players to develop and, to be honest, I would be surprised if we signed a youngster in League one and we didn't do so on the basis of them showing promise at playing in a higher league, otherwise, whats the point. You might sign older players in League One on the basis that you are using them to get you out of the league and you are doing so because you are aware of the ability and their limitations.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If we sign a player as a League 1 team, and then rapidly progress to the top end of the Championship - is it fair to expect that same player to be good enough for the team? Personally, I think it's unreasonable to expect someone we signed as a League 1 club to be good enough in a team now vying for promotion to the Premier League.

We've evolved the majority of our squad, but there are a couple of improvements to be made, and Oscar will oversee them. I understand frustration, but not outright unreasonable expectations.

If that player is instrumental in getting to the top half of the championship, then yes, obviously. Players are allowed to improve you know.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Expectations generally seem to be unrealistic. Pretty much any player in our current squad would have walked into any Albion side of the past 25-30 years and yet I hear constant drivel from a few people around me, berating them for what they should have done with a pass/shot/run. I can only assume these people spend most of their lives watching football on TV and think Championship players should be able to play like Cristiano Ronaldo week in, week out.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford

did we not sign Zamora while we were in Division 3? Pretty sure he was ok

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Expectations generally seem to be unrealistic. Pretty much any player in our current squad would have walked into any Albion side of the past 25-30 years and yet I hear constant drivel from a few people around me, berating them for what they should have done with a pass/shot/run. I can only assume these people spend most of their lives watching football on TV and think Championship players should be able to play like Cristiano Ronaldo week in, week out.

One of the worst parts of going to watch football is hearing all the nonsense that people nearby come out with. People hurl abuse at players for the stupidest things. For example, "WHY DIDN'T HE JUMP?" when the ball has sailed a good five or ten yards over the intended recipient's head.

I found myself defending Barnes last night after he'd tried the overhead kick - someone made it clear they were unimpressed that he had tried that and wasted a chance. I asked what else he was meant to do bearing in mind that the ball was dropping virtually straight down and there was a defender a yard away that would have got the ball had he tried to take a touch. He couldn't answer.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
... and for all the few examples you can provide, there are how many examples of players just not cutting it?

This is one of them. Just not up to the standard we require if we're going to continue to improve.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
... and for all the few examples you can provide, there are how many examples of players just not cutting it?

This is one of them. Just not up to the standard we require if we're going to continue to improve.

well its pretty obvious that once again its 'weve lost....lets blame Barnes' and realistically if you (and anyone else for that matter) think that Barnes is useless then you clearly don't understand football at all. Do you seriously think he would attract the interest he has if he was a crap, league 1 standard player? no. A couple of premier league teams have been interested, top of the league Burnley we know tried to get him and Celtic who play Champions League every year. So are you really instigating that Barnes is useless? because if so, please do us all a favour and either bugger off or go and learn something about football

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are not many players who fall into that category :)

Brezovan
Greer
Crofts (originally)
Barnes
Calderon
Ankergren
Lualua
Bridcutt

(ignoring players who have come through the youth set up, or who have been with us since before Gus - eg El Abd, JFC etc)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
well its pretty obvious that once again its 'weve lost....lets blame Barnes' and realistically if you (and anyone else for that matter) think that Barnes is useless then you clearly don't understand football at all. Do you seriously think he would attract the interest he has if he was a crap, league 1 standard player? no. A couple of premier league teams have been interested, top of the league Burnley we know tried to get him and Celtic who play Champions League every year. So are you really instigating that Barnes is useless? because if so, please do us all a favour and either bugger off or go and learn something about football

And using the "only people who know football understand Barnes" line is pathetic.

If Burnley and Premier League clubs want him, then we should sell. He's performing at his peak, and it's insufficient. But the whole point I was making is that isn't a criticism of him. We signed him for a job, he did that job and has exceeded all expectations. Now, however, we've moved on.

Like we did with Marcos Painter, Casper Ankergren, Adam El-Abd (to a lesser extent), Gary Dicker... The list goes on. They were ALL good players for us, in the case of El-Abd I would welcome him back in the team, but we've progressed so rapidly in every aspect that these people were left behind. Barnes is clinging on but if we want to continue improving we need a higher calibre of player.

Not a Barnes hater, and I will proudly be wearing the shirt with his name and number on the back on saturday. But he's not what we need to continue improving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here