Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pace

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would argue we only have THREE genuinely pacey players in the entire squad - LuaLua, Buckley and CMS.

CMS has been injured for ages so who knows how he'll be when he comes back, and Bucka & KLL are both very injury prone.

Last night was crying out for a bit more zip and pace in the first half, and you could see Buckley worried them when he came on.

Do we not need another player who possesses this attribute? Not a single player that started last night could be described as "pacey".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Actually yes, Ince has got some pace. Could've done with him surging through the middle last night.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Can't disagree with any of the above. I think Lita may have a bit of pace, but to be honest I can't be sure as we haven't had the opportunity to witness it.....

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Ince's pace is helped by the sheer size of him and his stride length, especially when he's in full flow. Seeing him charge 50 yards is quite a sight

I bloody love Rohan Ince

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, we are slow / one paced. Were at Bournemouth and were again last night. Conway is tricky but not that quick IMO and Ward just refuses to get forward for large parts of the game which is annoying as he's quick-ish when he does. Such a contrast to last season when Bridge and KLL used to RAMPAGE down the left. The players the OP mentioned are the only genuine quick ones (and if CMS' pace and or endurance has been affected by his injury then he's f***ed when he comes back). Ince has nice ACCELERATION in my humble opinion.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Wasn't it OG who complained after the signing of Conway that we needed pace. Then we got Lita, presumably for pace. Then he doesn't play him.

It's really starting to look like something has gone on for Lita to be given so little game-time. Maybe an attitude problem or a falling out.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Solly March has pace, if Buckley and Lua Lua are both out then March is an option to add to the pace of the team. As strong as our squad is we do need genuine pace up front to unsettle defenders.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
As soon as Barnsley realised we lacked pace and wouldn't be likely to get behind the full backs, they started to push up and compress the game. If Buckley had started they'd have sat deeper

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Wasn't it OG who complained after the signing of Conway that we needed pace. Then we got Lita, presumably for pace. Then he doesn't play him.

It's really starting to look like something has gone on for Lita to be given so little game-time. Maybe an attitude problem or a falling out.

Lita = a taller Leon Knight seemingly

Totally agree about the need for pace in the team, especially at home when we need to get in behind teams. Will make a difference when Lua Lua and Bucker are back and 100%. But, can't understand why Oscar insists on playing Buckley through the middle, it just seems to have the effect of making the team very narrow when last night we were crying out for a bit of pace in behind their full-backs. Frustrating.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would argue we only have THREE genuinely pacey players in the entire squad - LuaLua, Buckley and CMS.

CMS has been injured for ages so who knows how he'll be when he comes back, and Bucka & KLL are both very injury prone.

Last night was crying out for a bit more zip and pace in the first half, and you could see Buckley worried them when he came on.

Do we not need another player who possesses this attribute? Not a single player that started last night could be described as "pacey".

Others have already added Ince to this list, and I'd agree, but he takes a while to get into full flow with those long legs. Kaz, by contrast, is explosive from a standing start: his legs are somewhat different. I also think Bridcutt is quite quick. If last night was just a dream -- or, better, nightmare -- and we manage to get promoted, we'll seriously need to address this issue, especially in defence. Oscar will know this.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Totally agree about the need for pace in the team, especially at home when we need to get in behind teams. Will make a difference when Lua Lua and Bucker are back and 100%. But, can't understand why Oscar insists on playing Buckley through the middle, it just seems to have the effect of making the team very narrow when last night we were crying out for a bit of pace in behind their full-backs. Frustrating.

This.

Buckley himself must be getting hacked off with this as he cannot show his strength and it's making him look half the player.

If it continues I can see a transfer request coming.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Lita = a taller Leon Knight seemingly

Agree with you about Buckley and the middle, and said as much in the thread on two up-front in post 19.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This.

Buckley himself must be getting hacked off with this as he cannot show his strength and it's making him look half the player.

If it continues I can see a transfer request coming.

I disagree actually, Buckley was caught offside once and had our best opportunity last night running on to balls through the middle. He wants to score goals I think. I also don't think he's being played solely down the middle. He was out wide left and wide right as much as he was in the middle. I actually think Oscar has given him freedom to rotate across the front three which I quite like.

On the subject of pace though, that was our biggest complaint where I sit. So many great opportunities for quick breaks slammed to a stop when the ball came out wide to David because he simply cannot beat a man. We looked far better after Buckley came on.

Ince, Lua Lua, Buckley & CMS are the only ones who have any pace and our lack of speed on the break is killing off any counter attacks we want to launch. Last night we were suggesting that rather than David (and if Buckley wasn't ready to come back from the start) that we'd rather see Calderon in RM in front of Bruno because actually he has some pace in comparison

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I disagree actually, Buckley was caught offside once and had our best opportunity last night running on to balls through the middle. He wants to score goals I think. I also don't think he's being played solely down the middle. He was out wide left and wide right as much as he was in the middle. I actually think Oscar has given him freedom to rotate across the front three which I quite like.

On the subject of pace though, that was our biggest complaint where I sit. So many great opportunities for quick breaks slammed to a stop when the ball came out wide to David because he simply cannot beat a man. We looked far better after Buckley came on.

Ince, Lua Lua, Buckley & CMS are the only ones who have any pace and our lack of speed on the break is killing off any counter attacks we want to launch. Last night we were suggesting that rather than David (and if Buckley wasn't ready to come back from the start) that we'd rather see Calderon in RM in front of Bruno because actually he has some pace in comparison

I can see what you mean but for me he's spending too much time central.

Do you agree that he is performing way below previous seasons' form though?

I do, and I think the way he is being played is largely responsible.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I can see what you mean but for me he's spending too much time central.

Do you agree that he is performing way below previous seasons' form though?

I do, and I think the way he is being played is largely responsible.

Yep and I think the problem is that he is being asked to play in the 'number 10' role, when in reality all of his success has been as an out and out winger combining well with the right back to isolate the oppo full backs.
I think this is a point in general with regards to this season - under Gus, everyone knew their jobs and would get bollocked if they stepped outside this, which was perhaps too rigid at times, this season there is clearly an attempt to introduce more attacking fluidity but this requires players with footballing intelligence to know when to switch positions or move outside of their positional 'zone'. In this instance, not sure that Buckley is quite adapting, but must be flattered by Oscar thinking that he can do and so is giving it his best shot!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Buckley has said previously in interviews that he'd like a chance upfront, so I doubt he's that gutted at being given the opportunity (sort of).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As soon as Barnsley realised we lacked pace and wouldn't be likely to get behind the full backs, they started to push up and compress the game. If Buckley had started they'd have sat deeper

agree.

They looked like expected to get thumped but after 20 mins of sitting deep and realising we couldnt hurt them they came out their shell

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Maybe a bit more of a pacey CB?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here