Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6 second rule

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why do referees REFUSE to acknowledge this rule? Butland kept it in his hands for well over 10 seconds numerous times.

Has anyone ever seen a free kick given for this rule being broken?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I understand it was repealed and it is at the discretion of the ref who can book a player for unsporting behaviour

Didn't kuips get done one home game at withdean for this

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I understand it was repealed and it is at the discretion of the ref who can book a player for unsporting behaviour

Didn't kuips get done one home game at withdean for this

If that's true then it's a big shame. It's a cracking rule that was sadly never enforced efficiently.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The six second rule is still in the laws of the game, it just isn't enforced anymore.

Established1982

Jul 30, 2011
Fully agree with OP. Butland was driving me nuts last night with the amount of time he wasted.

Because of the injury to the ref, hardly any of it was added back on either.

I'd like to see indirect free kicks (for consistent infringement of the rule) - that will make sure keepers don't play silly buggers.

Having said - when we're away from home and one up with ten minutes to go then the PIG should stick it up his shirt and never let it go.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I thought the rule was scraped?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It was annoying, very annoying... However, in Butland's defence, a fair few of those times he'd dropped the ball on the floor and had it at his feet which meant it was in play, somebody should have pressured him and made him play it, nobody did until Lita came on, I found that disappointing.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It was annoying, very annoying... However, in Butland's defence, a fair few of those times he'd dropped the ball on the floor and had it at his feet which meant it was in play, somebody should have pressured him and made him play it, nobody did until Lita came on, I found that disappointing.

I remember this being a skill that Ankergren had honed to a fine art during our League 1 winning season. It used to drive opposition fans wild, I seem to remember.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not only did he hold onto it for AGES, but in the second half alone he THREE times travelled with the ball still in his hand, outside of his area, in his kicking motion.

I reckon this happens EVERY game (TK does it sometimes, as well) and the linesman NEVER watches for it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nothing wrong with the ball at the goalie's feet. He can stand there all day, and as mentioned above, Casper is one of the best keeprs I've ever seen with the ball at his feet.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 1st ref warned him 4 times to get a move on. It's like the counter reset when the 2nd ref came on, and he never got a booking.

However, anyone who was a St Mary's a few years ago, will have seen Casper perform a masterclass which made Butland's performance look like a beginner.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The 1st ref warned him 4 times to get a move on. It's like the counter reset when the 2nd ref came on, and he never got a booking.

However, anyone who was a St Mary's a few years ago, will have seen Casper perform a masterclass which made Butland's performance look like a beginner.

Didn't Casper mostly have the ball at his feet though?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Not only did he hold onto it for AGES, but in the second half alone he THREE times travelled with the ball still in his hand, outside of his area, in his kicking motion.

I reckon this happens EVERY game (TK does it sometimes, as well) and the linesman NEVER watches for it.

I noticed that. Couldn't believe he kept getting away with it

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I thought the law was 10 seconds

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
All teams do it, along with the swapping sides for a goal kick trick.

It's annoying when happens to you but hilarious and part of the game when your team does it

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fully agree with OP. Butland was driving me nuts last night with the amount of time he wasted.

Because of the injury to the ref, hardly any of it was added back on either.

I'd like to see indirect free kicks (for consistent infringement of the rule) - that will make sure keepers don't play silly buggers.

Having said - when we're away from home and one up with ten minutes to go then the PIG should stick it up his shirt and never let it go.

It depends on what you call time wasting. Yes he was slow in taking goal kicks but I wouldn't say he was as bad as many we have seen. Part of the problem is the fact that Barnes did not put him under pressure once he had the ball at his feet and is then obliged to kick as he can't pick it up again. As much as I think CMS runs around like a headless chicken sometimes, he does pressure the keeper.

Nothing wrong with the ball at the goalie's feet. He can stand there all day, and as mentioned above, Casper is one of the best keeprs I've ever seen with the ball at his feet.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here