Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two upfront .......

Seagulls56

Oct 20, 2013
Bad night all round every team has them so that's not my issue my issue is why is oscar so against playing two upfront when we are 2-1 down and chasing the game game like tonight ? Not saying it is going to work but let's give it a go? What do others think?

Last edited:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Couldn't agree more. Was naively disappointed we didn't start with two, but I really couldn't understand taking Barnes off for Lita.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I wasn't at all surprised and wasn't disappointed with starting with one up top. No real need to change our formation when we are on a 5 game run. I would have certainly brought Lita on earlier though and keep Barnes on the pitch.

Seagulls56

Oct 20, 2013
That is exactly my point we were chasing the game didn't matter if we lost 3-0 it may not of worked but we will never know till we try it

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I was surprised he left it so late to bring Lita on - and that he replaced Barnes. Would have thought 2 up front with Buckley out wide was a no brainer in a situation like that.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I noticed in his post match interview his answer to playing 2 up front was "We are unbeaten in the the last 6 games playing one up front"

While this is correct (If its not broke don't fix it) surely that is not the answer when we were clearly NOT the better team & 2 goals down in the 2nd half (It was broke tonight....but no obvious fix).

Many people criticised Gus for not having a plan B. Is this the same scenario another manager not prepared to change it up just to see if it works.

BTW I know its only one game & I for one am not too worried, Barnsley were due a result & unfortunately it was against us.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Starting the game with some pace up front would be a start. Barnes, Lopez, and Conway have none. Would like to see March get a run if Buckley, Lua Lua are injured. Lita looks lively every time he comes on, and he certainly causes defenders problems with pace.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Bad night all round every team has them so that's not my issue my issue is why is oscar so against playing two upfront when we are 2-1 down and chasing the game game like tonight ? Not saying it is going to work but let's give it a go? What do others think?

i agree and why not bring on the extra forward on with 30 mins to go , at least give him some time to make a difference

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Starting the game with some pace up front would be a start. Barnes, Lopez, and Conway have none. Would like to see March get a run if Buckley, Lua Lua are injured. Lita looks lively every time he comes on, and he certainly causes defenders problems with pace.

Barnes & Lopez I can agree with you on, but CONWAY was by far our best player tonight & was pretty quick down the wing from what I saw.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Note for Garcia:

Two up front seemed to work for Barnsley.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was a little surprised at all the subs today, Buckley was a good choice but I thought it would be for Dave rather than Caskey.

Augustien seemed odd as at the time Lita would've been my option.

Lita for Barnes didn't change anything, all in all a little surprised by each substitution

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Barnes & Lopez I can agree with you on, but CONWAY was by far our best player tonight & was pretty quick down the wing from what I saw.

He was our most threatening player but not through his pace, when Buckley and Lua Lua are in full flow defenders are left floundering. March has pace and we need to attack down the channels, pulling defenders out of position. Conway can put a decent cross in but doesn't look like he fancies his chances at out pacing too many full backs.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Note for Garcia:

Two up front seemed to work for Barnsley.

old school

EDIT:I wasn't even there, so should keep quiet ......... but my favourite English footballer of all time is Peter Beardsley.

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Not forgetting that with Bridcutt back in his normal role, playing two up front would leave us with three in midfield, and the possibility of them getting overrun. Obviously taking onboard our four in midfield got overrun last night :ohmy:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Was it just me that noticed Buckley playing more central when he came on than usual then? Or do you all just assume he was playing out wide constantly?

It wasn't just you. Buckley spent little time on the right. In fact there were acres of space on the right for long periods in the second half. This suggests that the thread, and Oscar's response to being questioned on the subject, are wrong, and that in the second half we did indeed play two up front. That, in turn, might well have contributed to the problem, as we had insufficient width to penetrate. I'd rather Buckley hugs the touchline.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
...................PIG...............

.Lopez...Upson.....Greer...Ward..

.Buckley...Ince....Bridcutt.....Orlandi

.............Barnes......Ulloa............

Bench: Crofts, Augustein,, Lualua, CMS, Dunk, Bruno, JFC.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
When we have pacey options on the wing, and the quality of Ulloa leading the line, I'm fine with one up top. When we don't have our first choice striker or pacey wingers, it seems bizarre that we don't play two recognised strikers. Otherwise we just luck sufficient teeth to break teams down and score goals,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here