Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Having seen the last three games...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Blackburn, plus Wigan and Bournemouth on the box, I would say that the results have flattered us somewhat and today was a reality check. I had a funny feeling that we might not find it easy tonight. Anyone agree?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes, we never seem to get going until the second half. We certainly rode our luck at Wigan. If they could have kept their shots on target, we'd have lost.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Nope, pre match I thought we'd win comfortably. After seeing the side I started to think differently and after 15 minutes it was obvious we had got our tactics completely wrong and were set up,way to negatively. We let Barnsley gain confidence by letting them have plenty of possession and that was our un doing. Poor tactics from the helm, whoever that is and poor team selection against the bottom club who, in all honesty, would have bitten yer arm off for a nil nil before the game.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's the same old Albion thing, get a shit result against a team at the bottom of the table to undo all the good work of the hard-fought glorious result against all odds the week before. Same as it ever was.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Blackburn, plus Wigan and Bournemouth on the box, I would say that the results have flattered us somewhat and today was a reality check. I had a funny feeling that we might not find it easy tonight. Anyone agree?

As soon as their manager got sacked was when I started having doubts!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
That has been coming all season. We got hammered in the 2nd half by Forest. We were very lucky to get a point v Shef Wed. We were lucky to get a point v Watford.
Our home form pretty much all season has been awful. What's worse is half the players don't look bothered.

I honestly don't know why we sing Garcia's name? Shouldn't he earn it first?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's the same old Albion thing, get a shit result against a team at the bottom of the table to undo all the good work of the hard-fought glorious result against all odds the week before. Same as it ever was.

Absolutely. 30 years of watching the Albion and one thing you can guarantee is that when we play the bottom teams and expect to win we always come unstuck. And that's what makes it fun.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I honestly don't know why we sing Garcia's name? Shouldn't he earn it first?

It is rather bizarre isn't it, so many people assuming he's brilliant - why? because he has a Spanish name? because he played for Barcelona? because they are desperate for him to be good so they can keep hating on Gus? Some people have convinced themselves that last season was terrible football and Oscar is inherently fabulous.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
It is rather bizarre isn't it, so many people assuming he's brilliant - why? because he has a Spanish name? because he played for Barcelona? because they are desperate for him to be good so they can keep hating on Gus? Some people have convinced themselves that last season was terrible football and Oscar is inherently fabulous.

It’s not often I read a thread with such unanimous agreement

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
While we were playing nowhere near our best, this still, for me, highlights how crazy this league is. Seemingly anyone can beat anyone, and it's been that way for a while - remember the Christmas period a couple of years ago when we lost to Cov (bottom) on Boxing Day, and then beat Saints (top) a few days later?

Check the form table: Watford are bottom; Bolton (18th in the league) are fourth; even Yeovil have put a run together and are currently the 14th best team over the past eight games.

While so many aspects of last night baffled me, we are still sixth in the form table, so I don't think it is any reason to push the panic button just yet. Players to come back, move the out of form players to the bench and get them gelling and I reckon we'll be OK.

And if not? It's only football.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Any money you like we'll put in a FAR better performance on Saturday.

If we played Real Madrid we'd give a good account of ourselves, probably lose 3 or 4-2 but play some good football, but put us infront of AFC Woking or Newport and we will be shit every time.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What frustrate me most was the fact bottom of the table Barnsley looked more comfortable on the ball and attacked with more creativity than us.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Had this very conversation last night.

While we have been, thankfully, getting some good results, performances have hardly been inspiring.

There are reasons for this however. With a very disruptive summer and a crippling injury list we have had very little continuity and Oscar has been denied access to his best players. When the squad is fully fit, Oscar is then going to have a task on his hands to figure how to formulate his best team. The lack of continuity and any serious firepower up front have hamstrung this team and we've actually done ok all things considered. We are a long way from realising the potential of this squad and more mediocre performances will follow this one, of that i'm sure.

Last night we collectively laid an egg, players who I consider to have done well this season like Crofts, Greer and Upson, were clearly off the boil and had poor games. JFC imo blew the chance that Oscar gave him last night, Bridcutt was overrun in midfield as no-one in front of him was slowing down Barnsley attacks and Barnes was just left hanging on his own upfront. That all adds up to a very bad night at the office. Hopefully it was sufficiently bad to shake us up in time for saturday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

While I like Oscar I do agree with this to an extent. A lot of things Oscar does (formations, tactics, using Barnes) Gus would get DOGS ABUSE for doing, despite being our best manager in 30-odd years and a good shout for one of our best managers of all time. Childish, petulant and ridiculous.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
While we were playing nowhere near our best, this still, for me, highlights how crazy this league is. Seemingly anyone can beat anyone, and it's been that way for a while - remember the Christmas period a couple of years ago when we lost to Cov (bottom) on Boxing Day, and then beat Saints (top) a few days later?

Check the form table: Watford are bottom; Bolton (18th in the league) are fourth; even Yeovil have put a run together and are currently the 14th best team over the past eight games.

While so many aspects of last night baffled me, we are still sixth in the form table, so I don't think it is any reason to push the panic button just yet. Players to come back, move the out of form players to the bench and get them gelling and I reckon we'll be OK.

And if not? It's only football.

Spot on.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am by no means saying Oscar won't be great. I hope he is. Still far too early to judge.

But I do wonder whether people would have been quite so excited had we appointed, say, a former Man United youth team coach who had spent a successful single season in a league of similar stature to Israel.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
While I like Oscar I do agree with this to an extent. A lot of things Oscar does (formations, tactics, using Barnes) Gus would get DOGS ABUSE for doing, despite being our best manager in 30-odd years and a good shout for one of our best managers of all time. Childish, petulant and ridiculous.
Correct.

It is worth remembering though, that many of the people on here who "hate" Gus are well known simpletons. Gus has had about 500 times more of a positive influence on this club than OG so far, and most other managers for that matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here