Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My (hopefully calm, rational and balanced) view of the game/team

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Firstly, it was a very poor performance. There's no getting away from that. Everybody looked far too casual on the ball and indeed without it. There was little cohesion going forward when we had possession and it was rarely long before we'd concede it again. Even when we were on the attack late on we'd still be at risk of constantly overhitting passes

The defence was uncharacteristically flimsy when being attacked today. McCourt (or whatever his name was) danced through more than once, and people just completely missed their tackles. Ward was solid and unspectacular, as per usual - won't let you down and won't set the world alight. Greer and Upson were pretty nondescript and didn't really stand out for right or wrong reasons (goal aside). Bruno, however, seems to have lost judgement when defending; he loves going forward but is a weakness when we're being attacked. I'll need to see the goals again but on first glance t seemed Kuszczak could have done better with the goals, mainly the second.

JFC is a good player... but generally that's when we're the dominant team. When we're on the back foot he is largely anonymous. I'd be very surprised if Ince doesn't replace him on Saturday. Crofts charged around with his usual all-action bluster but tonight didn't really make much impact. Bridcutt clearly isn't fully match sharp but doesn't look too far off.

Watching Lopez just makes me feel a bit sad these days. He's a complete shadow of his former self and his contribution is minimal. When we put Buckley out wide we looked more dangerous, and again looked more complete when he was replaced with Agustien (who himself wasn't exactly perfect but I think that's fitness). Conway works well with Ward and was our main threat although he was still a bit quiet beyond his shot in the first half and a few crosses.

Felt a bit sorry for Barnes - he got sod all service and as a result I don't recall him having attempts on goal other than his soft overhead quickly followed by slamming it high and wide with his left foot. He said the other day that he has given Oscar a selection headache when Ulloa returns but this won't have done him any favours. I'm not suggesting Ulloa would have done too much better with the service tonight but I think his presence alone might have posed more of a problem for their defence.

Seems tonight was the perfect storm of everybody falling below their usual standards. Barnsley didn't look like a team at the bottom of the league with no manager, but that was our doing. Typical Brighton.

We're not suddenly a bad team but it's clear how much we can miss Ulloa, Buckley, Orlandi et al

The team I expect us to put out for Saturday is:
Kuszczak
Bruno, Greer, Upson, Ward
Ince, Bridcutt, Crofts
Buckley, Barnes, Conway

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
JFC was out of his depth first half. I thought Kemy looked good when he came on. Will looked ok but he seemed to be in some discomfort.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I was really impressed with Kemy earlier in the season, and thought he showed so much potential again tonight. He'll lose the ball occasionally, but his vision, technical ability and two-footedness is great to see. Reminded me a bit of Lansbury for Forest - when we played them he gave the ball away a few times before scoring twice.

If he can get fit and we stay patient he could be a real gem for us, particularly slipping in players like Buckley, Conway & Lua Lua.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Firstly, it was a very poor performance. There's no getting away from that. Everybody looked far too casual on the ball and indeed without it. There was little cohesion going forward when we had possession and it was rarely long before we'd concede it again. Even when we were on the attack late on we'd still be at risk of constantly overhitting passes

The defence was uncharacteristically flimsy when being attacked today. McCourt (or whatever his name was) danced through more than once, and people just completely missed their tackles. Ward was solid and unspectacular, as per usual - won't let you down and won't set the world alight. Greer and Upson were pretty nondescript and didn't really stand out for right or wrong reasons (goal aside). Bruno, however, seems to have lost judgement when defending; he loves going forward but is a weakness when we're being attacked. I'll need to see the goals again but on first glance t seemed Kuszczak could have done better with the goals, mainly the second.

JFC is a good player... but generally that's when we're the dominant team. When we're on the back foot he is largely anonymous. I'd be very surprised if Ince doesn't replace him on Saturday. Crofts charged around with his usual all-action bluster but tonight didn't really make much impact. Bridcutt clearly isn't fully match sharp but doesn't look too far off.

Watching Lopez just makes me feel a bit sad these days. He's a complete shadow of his former self and his contribution is minimal. When we put Buckley out wide we looked more dangerous, and again looked more complete when he was replaced with Agustien (who himself wasn't exactly perfect but I think that's fitness). Conway works well with Ward and was our main threat although he was still a bit quiet beyond his shot in the first half and a few crosses.

Felt a bit sorry for Barnes - he got sod all service and as a result I don't recall him having attempts on goal other than his soft overhead quickly followed by slamming it high and wide with his left foot. He said the other day that he has given Oscar a selection headache when Ulloa returns but this won't have done him any favours. I'm not suggesting Ulloa would have done too much better with the service tonight but I think his presence alone might have posed more of a problem for their defence.

Seems tonight was the perfect storm of everybody falling below their usual standards. Barnsley didn't look like a team at the bottom of the league with no manager, but that was our doing. Typical Brighton.

We're not suddenly a bad team but it's clear how much we can miss Ulloa, Buckley, Orlandi et al

The team I expect us to put out for Saturday is:
Kuszczak
Bruno, Greer, Upson, Ward
Ince, Bridcutt, Crofts
Buckley, Barnes, Conway

Good post. A bad day at the office....every team will have them this season. Will soon be forgotten if we put in a good performance on Saturday.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I was really impressed with Kemy earlier in the season, and thought he showed so much potential again tonight. He'll lose the ball occasionally, but his vision, technical ability and two-footedness is great to see. Reminded me a bit of Lansbury for Forest - when we played them he gave the ball away a few times before scoring twice.

If he can get fit and we stay patient he could be a real gem for us, particularly slipping in players like Buckley, Conway & Lua Lua.

Agree with this. Kemy kept the ball moving when he came on and nearly always looks to play an attacking forward pass, not always coming off but positive all the same. Two good feet and technically looks very good.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I too feel sadness for Spanish Dave, seems the harder he tries the worse it is for him, i think it could have been different if big Leo had have been on the field as he crossed some great deliveries into the box early on and when we take an early lead the game opens out and that is when he comes into his own, unfortunately this has'nt happened much lately and scrapping for possession really is'nt his game and also his link up play with Orlandi has not been possible so far. I hope when we get these two back fit and playing we will see more of the old Spanish.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
See, much better after his excellent deliveries were capitalized on rather than squandered, he is a confidence player and you could see his confidence in a attacking sense grow especially the first half,well done Spanish Dave.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I feel like this was the sole reason behind his performance today, so yeah. Go me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here