Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
ward-l229-1212906_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
14:13 3rd December 2013
by Adam Tighe
There is a real work ethic that the manager has instilled in us"
Stephen Ward
Stephen Ward has praised his team-mates for the club’s impressive defensive record.Albion have had two clean sheets in their last three games and have conceded just 15 times all season, but the Irishman says it's not just down to the defence.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “I have said it before, it is not only down the five of us at the back, the ones in front of us work hard as well, which is important.
“Craig (Conway) does a great job in front of me, and the two or three central midfielders keep their shape well. There is a real work ethic that the manager has instilled in us; when we lose the ball we want to get back into shape as quick as possible, and not be too ragged so that the opposition can come onto us in droves.
“It has been a collective performance from the team and that has really helped us to keep clean sheets.”
The Irish international’s form saw him recalled to Martin O’Neill’s squad recently and the left-back admitted he is pleased with his own displays.
“I have been happy enough and pleased with my form but overall as a team we have played really well over the past few weeks.
“Just look at the strength and depth of our squad now; the bench on Saturday was really strong and the competition for places is massive, so it bodes well for the Christmas period.”
Albion host bottom side and managerless Barnsley tonight but Ward has warned about complacency.
“It can go a couple of ways [sacking a manager] and that is something we have to be aware of.
“I have been in that position before when the manager has gone and the next game is always the one where you can sort of let loose and have a right go as there is a little bit less pressure. I am sure that is how they will look at it.
“There are no easy games in this division but we expect to do well against anyone on our home patch and it is a game we really want to win.
“We have been on a great run of form and we are not too far away from the play-offs where teams want to be with this busy Christmas schedule coming up. It is important to keep this run going as long as possible.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here