Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OECD PISA test scores.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes but the question as shown by the OP isn't actually the full question. The actual question consisted of a table with a number of different figures and the question was about engine capacity rather than just "which is the smallest number". Might not seem like a lot of difference, but given that 78% of UK respondents managed to answer a more mathematically challenging, though more plain, question shows that it's not quite as simple a matter as some are making out.

That's true, but it was still the ability to pick out the smallest number from a list of four. The last question, which wasn't that hard, we scored 3% (from memory)...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Irrelevant statement as it has nothing to do with this particular issue, one of continued failings in the education system. I don't blame teachers in the slightest, but I do hold successive governments, bureaucrats and a culture of dumbing-down to appease the less academically gifted for these results.

For what it's worth, I found the test itself a PISA piss.

Not irrelevant at all....China was cited as the paragons at the top of the list, I say a few failings in the education system is a massively preferable failing to have to carry compared to knocking off 5000 people a year in the name of justice.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not irrelevant at all....China was cited as the paragons at the top of the list, I say a few failings in the education system is a massively preferable failing to have to carry compared to knocking off 5000 people a year in the name of justice.

Ummmm, surely it doesn't have to be a choice between the two? Can we not improve our maths scores and still not execute people?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A question from the test;

Helen rode her bike from home to the river, which is 4 km away. It took her 9 minutes. She rode home using a shorter route of 3 km. This only took her 6 minutes.

What was Helen's average speed, in km/h, for the trip to the river and back?

Average speed for the trip: ..................... km/h

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/test/

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Helen rode her bike from home to the river, which is 4 km away. It took her 9 minutes. She rode home using a shorter route of 3 km. This only took her 6 minutes.

This was the toughest question. We scored 3%. Shanghai - 31%.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
28km/h ?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

You could drag out other obscure links and tenuous associations with just about anything, to put any subject into some sort of perspective. I like lists as much as the next man, and my sympathies to those who are victims of human rights abuses, but this debate is about China's superior education system. I don't think it's a coincidence that they are the world's leading, growing ecenomy - the two go hand in hand. And this is more than just a few failings, our country as a whole risks being screwed on the global stage if we continue at this rate.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ummmm, surely it doesn't have to be a choice between the two? Can we not improve our maths scores and still not execute people?

Yes........of course.....just beware of always using China as an example of what we should aspire to.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you could have done that at 15, you'd be one of the 3% :wink:

I don't think my mathematics has improved significantly since I was 15, so I probably could! :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes........of course.....just beware of always using China as an example of what we should aspire to.

I didn't say that at all!

I simply reported which country came top in these tests. S'all.

For the record - I absolutely would like our scores to be at least as good as theirs; but that is a million miles away from saying I want everything else to be like China.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I made it 28.33 km/h, but the answer was 28 km/h, I guess we are allowed to round down otherwise I have undermined my own intelligence ???

Its as simple as.....7km in 15mins......therefore in 60 mins it would be 28km..

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i feel sorry for American children taking this quiz,yearning for that bygone era when it was possible to fit two people into one section of a revolving door

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Surely any 15yo who can't work that out in their head is basically unemployable?

Blair, Brown, Blunkett, Morris, Clarke, Kelly, Johnson, Bollx and co have a lot to answer for. :angry:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Surely any 15yo who can't work that out in their head is basically unemployable?

Then 97% of the current crop of 15 year-olds are unemployable.

I don't think I'd go as far as you in the assertion, but, as an employer and as a citizen, I find the stat deeply troubling. These people will be paying my pension (or what's left of it anyway).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here