Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OECD PISA test scores.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Once again, the UK lags behind many, many countries in maths tests results.

Only 55% of 15 year-olds could say which was the smallest number from the following list:

:nono: I honestly despair.

Top of the class? China (Shanghai, as opposed to Hong Kong) with 89%.

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/test/form/

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In another list, China does very well too,..... executions,.... top of the class ( unknown number, estimated in the thousands per year)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
110% of people can't do maths.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It does in certain professions and occupations.

I would say in every day life. If you go down a supermarket aisle and can't tell which price is cheaper from two numbers, you're not making an informed choice. I would say mental numerical dexterity is extremely useful. As for the test given by the OP, I reckon we were doing stuff like that when I was 6, so anyone without good reason not able to do it by 15 would be a worry.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In all fairness, does it really matter?

You're kidding, right? You have to be :fishing:

I'll bite anyway. Yes, it matters - immensely.

We have a high wage economy, therefore we can't compete with low cost products/services, since all the companies would rapidly go out of business. We therefore have to compete with high value-added products/services. These require careful R&D. This requires Maths skills.

Currently, at least half of the countries scoring higher than us on the PISA test have a lower wage economy than us. That is utterly unsustainable in the long term. If we can't improve our maths scores, we have to accept that we'll become a low value-add economy, which means low prices, which means low wages.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well as long as the 55% who answered correctly can fit in to those professions we're good. Not everyone can be a genius at everything.

You hardly have to be a genius to work out that answer. That is year 5 or 6 work.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well as long as the 55% who answered correctly can fit in to those professions we're good. Not everyone can be a genius at everything.

By not knowing which is the bigger number, does that follow that 45% don't know that 'Brighton 3 Crystal Palace 0' means that Brighton won because they scored a higher number of goals?

Is ascertaining which is a bigger number the mark of a genius?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's alright... nice Mr Gove is on the case... he will sort out New Labour's disgraceful record on education.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In another list, China does very well too,..... executions,.... top of the class ( unknown number, estimated in the thousands per year)

So they are not that good with numbers after all ? Most people have no problem remembering how many people they have killed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You're kidding, right? You have to be :fishing:

I'll bite anyway. Yes, it matters - immensely.

We have a high wage economy, therefore we can't compete with low cost products/services, since all the companies would rapidly go out of business. We therefore have to compete with high value-added products/services. These require careful R&D. This requires Maths skills.

Currently, at least half of the countries scoring higher than us on the PISA test have a lower wage economy than us. That is utterly unsustainable in the long term. If we can't improve our maths scores, we have to accept that we'll become a low value-add economy, which means low prices, which means low wages.

Oh no we don't I'm earning less now than I did 7 years ago.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
You hardly have to be a genius to work out that answer. That is year 5 or 6 work.

I'm pretty sure I did decimal places in year 3, and that was 20 years ago. So if they now only start that kind of "complex" mathematics in year 5 or 6, it's no wonder kids aren't as bright these days. Too much mollycoddling.

"Oh sorry young sir, is this too hard for you? Ok we'll come back to that in a few years"

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

Yes but the question as shown by the OP isn't actually the full question. The actual question consisted of a table with a number of different figures and the question was about engine capacity rather than just "which is the smallest number". Might not seem like a lot of difference, but given that 78% of UK respondents managed to answer a more mathematically challenging, though more plain, question shows that it's not quite as simple a matter as some are making out.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

Irrelevant statement as it has nothing to do with this particular issue, one of continued failings in the education system. I don't blame teachers in the slightest, but I do hold successive governments, bureaucrats and a culture of dumbing-down to appease the less academically gifted for these results.

For what it's worth, I found the test itself a PISA piss.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Click on the link to get this...

"In January, the new CDs of the bands 4U2Rock and The Kicking Kangaroos were released. In February, the CDs of the bands No One's Darling and The Metalfolkies followed. The following graph shows the sales of the bands' CDs from January to June."

Where can I find these bands? Are they any good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here