Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell to.......

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Director of football at Portsmouth if Barker gets the managers job according to the argus.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
..retire.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wigan?
Barnsley?
Sheff W?

No, no and errrr, no. Why would he be tempted by those three jobs? Much better opportunities have come his way in the past which he has turned down. Besides l'm sure he had the opportunity to replace Richie Barker at Crawley if he had wanted to.

Shame in many ways, a managerial genius gone to waste in my opinion.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
No, no and errrr, no. Why would he be tempted by those three jobs? Much better opportunities have come his way in the past which he has turned down. Besides l'm sure he had the opportunity to replace Richie Barker at Crawley if he had wanted to.

Shame in many ways, a managerial genius gone to waste in my opinion.

To be fair, Wigan would be a decent choice for him.
They aren't a bunch of no-hopers, the chairman has cash, and he would be near home being a Scouser.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Having said that, I hope he doesn't as he could almost certainly turn them into promotion candidates.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It seems pretty obvious to me that while Coppell obviously loves football, he doesn't need or want the aggravation of managerial work, or involvement in any high-pressure situations.

Director of football at Crawley Town is probably the most laid-back job in the game, which is why it suits him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Having said that, I hope he doesn't as he could almost certainly turn them into promotion candidates.

Don't worry, he won't! As l say, far better opportunities than Wigan have come his way in the past, but he has turned them down. What beggars belief for me is why Wigan turned to Owen Coyle in the first place. He was an ok-ish manager at Burnley, but did nothing at Bolton, and even less at Wigan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It seems pretty obvious to me that while Coppell obviously loves football, he doesn't need or want the aggravation of managerial work, or involvement in any high-pressure situations.

Director of football at Crawley Town is probably the most laid-back job in the game, which is why it suits him.

Suited him, past tense. He's left. He's probably had enough of management which is why he took on the role of director of football.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Suited him, past tense. He's left. He's probably had enough of management which is why he took on the role of director of football.

I think it suited him to work as DOF to a young, inexperienced manager still finding their way in the game. John Gregory does not come into that category and so when it became apparent Crawley wanted to appoint him as manager, he left.

Coppell doesn't need the pressure of football management and he lives in Surrey, therefore the Crawley position suited him because he could be door-to-door in an hour at the most. Therefore, none of the vacancies up north are going to remotely interest him. He could come back as a DOF somewhere, but I'd imagine it would only be somewhere that was within commuting distance of where he lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here