Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bill Woodfull,Bodyline and sledging.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes there was wit and humour about their sledging, even during the 'Bodyline' tour they were hard but generally fair, rather than just giving outright and cheap abuse to the opposition like Warner.

A good read is the Harold Larwood book by Duncan Hamilton. He was a tough as nails Nottinghamshire miner who was fiercely competitive, wouldn't take crap from anyone and bowled 'leg theory' to Jardine's instructions but instead of going on a verbal offensive was horrified when the Aussies complained that he was trying to kill them. He had fearful stick from the media but curiously he later settled in Australia, although he was despised by some, but also the English media and cricket establishment gave him stick too. I think he was a victim of the two tier 'gentlemen' and 'players' classes in the game at that time.

We could do with Larwood opening the bowling in Adelade this week.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yes there was wit and humour about their sledging, even during the 'Bodyline' tour they were hard but generally fair, rather than just giving outright and cheap abuse to the opposition like Warner.

A good read is the Harold Larwood book by Duncan Hamilton. He was a tough as nails Nottinghamshire miner who was fiercely competitive, wouldn't take crap from anyone and bowled 'leg theory' to Jardine's instructions but instead of going on a verbal offensive was horrified when the Aussies complained that he was trying to kill them. He had fearful stick from the media but curiously he later settled in Australia, although he was despised by some, but also the English media and cricket establishment gave him stick too. I think he was a victim of the two tier 'gentlemen' and 'players' classes in the game at that time.

We could do with Larwood opening the bowling in Adelade this week.

I would also recommend Body Line Autopsy by David Frith a brilliantly written comprehensive story of the Bodyline series.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I can recall a tetchy Merv Hughes playing for the Aussies in a tour match against SCCC at Hove, he was a fiercesome sight, even bowling up the hill from the Sea end - but he seemed to save his sledging for his own team mates, especially Paul Reiffel who had been sprayed the ball around a bit when bowling from the Cromwell Road end. Hughes was sledging Reiffel from about 70 yards away and the spectators had no doubt what Merv thought about his parentage!

At the Sydney Cricket Ground there is a statue of a spectator in one of the seats close to the boundary edge who was a legend for abusing English players over many many years and the facial expression on his statue is depicted venting his full fury at the Pommy *******s. Gives some idea of how Aussies aren't too fussed about the niceties of the gentlemens game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
One of the best I remember, I think was between Merv Hughes and Robin Smith. Smith was playing and missing regularly and Hughes in frustration at Smith shouted " The instructions are on the back of the F****** bat ! "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
Merv Hughes to Robin Snith after he plays and misses"You can't f***ing bat Smith". When Robin hits Merv for four "we make a great pair. I can't f***ing bat and you can't f***ing bowl". Then on the next tour - Merv "it's four years since I bowled to you and you haven't improved" The next ball goes for four and Smith says "neither have you".

But my favourite is Jimmy Ormond and Mark Waugh....Upon Ormond’s arrival at the crease Mark Waugh said . “—- me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There’s no way you’re good enough to play for England.”

Ormond replied: “Maybe not, but at least I’m the best player in my family.”

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Another good one was Viv Richards and the old Glamorgan fast bowler Greg Thomas. Sir Viv kept playing and missing at the start of his innings and Thomas gave him some verbals describing what the ball looked like to him, it's big, red and round etc. Next ball Richards hit him for a boundary and said 'you know what it looks like, go and fetch it'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here