Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton the on-line buying capital of UK this Christmas.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Probably due to people not being arsed with the disgraceful transport/parking charges policy not encouraging big spending shoppers into town.

Also, no major department stores such as John Lewis or House of Fraser offering a good range of products. Debenhams is one of the smallest compared to their other branches.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or because people are too busy/knackered from commuting to London to shop at physical shops?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
In fairness, Brighton is no great shakes as a shopping destination is it, regardless of any travel issues....

Can't agree with that. Where else can you find an even remotely comparable array of independent shops. It just needs a John Lewis or similar.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Brighton needs a Park and Ride again - maybe even a "Parkway" style train station to the North.

Would mean you wouldnt have to go into the centre of the city which would be more attractive to people looking to do shopping.

I do agree a John Lewis is needed though - but where could it go ?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
In fairness, Brighton is no great shakes as a shopping destination is it, regardless of any travel issues....

Apparently it is in top 20 shopping centres in UK. To me, although I really like visiting the city centre, the shops are all women's fashion and aimed at the tourists, not every day living, except loads of food shops.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Can't agree with that. Where else can you find an even remotely comparable array of independent shops. It just needs a John Lewis or similar.

I don't know, but for the masses which, like it or not, is what we're talking about, a city needs the big players including, as you say, John Lewis. People like going to the big shopping centres, may not be trendy but.....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Apparently it is in top 20 shopping centres in UK. To me, although I really like visiting the city centre, the shops are all women's fashion and aimed at the tourists, not every day living, except loads of food shops.

But given the size of the conurbation, it should be well inside the top 20 right? But for whatever reason, it isn't a shopping destination from out of the area.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Brighton needs a Park and Ride again - maybe even a "Parkway" style train station to the North.

Would mean you wouldnt have to go into the centre of the city which would be more attractive to people looking to do shopping.

where waitrose is now. Given the new waitrose in hove. It'd be perfect.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree with this especially for men's clothing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Brighton the on-line buying capital of UK this Christmas' - and also the sorting office queueing capital of UK this Christmas no doubt :xmas:

Jimmy Grimble

I agree with this especially for men's clothing.

I can name five decent shops off the top of my head - Peggs, Badger, Loot, Thread and Jump the Gun. The problem is they are all very inconsistent in terms of quality of stock at representative prices. In fact Badger has been poor for a while now.

I suppose it all depends on what you're after, though.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Where the co-op department store on London road was. Would help regenerate the area and bring in some other chain/larger shops to the area and not the cash converter/pound shop type that are there

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can name five decent shops off the top of my head - Peggs, Badger, Loot, Thread and Jump the Gun. The problem is they are all very inconsistent in terms of quality of stock at representative prices. In fact Badger has been poor for a while now.

I suppose it all depends on what you're after, though.

Peggs is really not my thing and the owner was a bit of a cock the last time I was I there. I'm not a mod so Jump The Gun doesn't appeal. Badger was good and carries a few brands I like but as you point out the range from said brands is very limited. I'm not sure I know the other two.

The last big spend I had involved buying a quality suitcase, a few shirts and a summer jacket. I could not find anything I liked in Brighton and had to go to London. I think part of my problem is I surf the net looking for stuff, find what I want and end up going to London because it cannot be sourced in on the coast; I'm very specific about what I want.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Where the co-op department store on London road was. Would help regenerate the area and bring in some other chain/larger shops to the area and not the cash converter/pound shop type that are there

The London Road area is going to be regenerated by the student housing going up on the co-op site. Reckon it's going to end up an affordable extension to the North Laine in a pretty short time. Maybe the council will even finally do what they should have done 20 years ago and pedestrianise London Road. It's all good.

Jimmy Grimble

Peggs is really not my thing and the owner was a bit of a cock the last time I was I there. I'm not a mod so Jump The Gun doesn't appeal. Badger was good and carries a few brands I like but as you point out the range from said brands is very limited. I'm not sure I know the other two.

The last big spend I had involved buying a quality suitcase, a few shirts and a summer jacket. I could not find anything I liked in Brighton and had to go to London. I think part of my problem is I surf the net looking for stuff, find what I want and end up going to London because it cannot be sourced in on the coast.

I can see why he might rub someone up the wrong way. Loot is on Gloucester Road and doesn't generally stock mainstream makes but does a lot of nice shirts. Thread is in Dukes Lane and is similar but a bit more upmarket.

I'm much more of an online shopper as you generally get much better value for money. Clearly it's not quite the same as going into a shop, trying an item of clothing on and buying it there and then, but if you know exactly what you're after it just makes sense. Once I know the fit of a specific brands' clothing I do most of it online, as you can comfortably save £15/£20 on a single item.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can see why he might rub someone up the wrong way. Loot is on Gloucester Road and doesn't generally stock mainstream makes but does a lot of nice shirts. Thread is in Dukes Lane and is similar but a bit more upmarket.

I'm much more of an online shopper as you generally get much better value for money. Clearly it's not quite the same as going into a shop, trying an item of clothing on and buying it there and then, but if you know exactly what you're after it just makes sense. Once I know the fit of a specific brands' clothing I do most of it online, as you can comfortably save £15/£20 on a single item.

Next time I'm in town I'll take a look in these two shops. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here