at home
Is this afcwimbledon? If so feck em.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Done

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have no symapathy whatsoever with The Dons either AFC or MK they had the opportunity , I think, to play at the Speedway track but declined it as they wanted their own ground so Sam the Man looked at Guildford Dublin and finished up at Milton Keynes. Better they continue at Kingston and MK respectively.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have no symapathy whatsoever with The Dons either AFC or MK they had the opportunity , I think, to play at the Speedway track but declined it as they wanted their own ground so Sam the Man looked at Guildford Dublin and finished up at Milton Keynes. Better they continue at Kingston and MK respectively.

If your memory is correct on being offered a share with a speedway team, do you think you would have personally wanted that or a ground of your own?

Would you have taken a redeveloped corals, complete with a track over round the pitch over the Amex?

It was Winkelman who orchestrated the move, wasn't it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

When were they given that opportunity then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If your memory is correct on being offered a share with a speedway team, do you think you would have personally wanted that or a ground of your own?

Would you have taken a redeveloped corals, complete with a track over round the pitch over the Amex?

It was Winkelman who orchestrated the move, wasn't it?

No but we took Gillingham because we had no choice, they had a choice as a temporary home but refused it and CHOSE to move out of the area. I am fairly sure Merton Council tried to get them to use the Speedway track and at the time there was talk of them building a stadium on the industrial estate between Plough Lane and The Speedway track, where in fact Schweppes amongst many had a unit.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Just say no!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sam the Man was held in the same esteem by the fans of Wimbledon as Mandaric was at Portsmouth, is it a coincidence because both won the cup, but we saw through and fought our villains.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No but we took Gillingham because we had no choice, they had a choice as a temporary home but refused it and CHOSE to move out of the area. I am fairly sure Merton Council tried to get them to use the Speedway track and at the time there was talk of them building a stadium on the industrial estate between Plough Lane and The Speedway track, where in fact Schweppes amongst many had a unit.

Firstly, the speedway stadium would be too small for a football pitch in the middle without affecting the track around the outside. So if they had gone there when they first left Plough Lane then that would have affected speedway, greyhound racing, stockcars which, at the time, were all regular events. Also, from my recollection, Merton Council were, until recently, not that interested in providing assistance to facilitate the return of the club. Politically, no doubt, they now see that it could be a vote winner.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can only speak of what I remember at the time living in Epsom and being on the committee of Surrey County FA and it is only a view I hold which would not affect the outcome now either way. As regards the speedway track being too small they wanted a pitch at The Spectrum in Guildford but the council refused to accept them. I am certain the area in the middle of the track was measured and was large enough to meet the requirements of the FL but would have been further from the supporters than we were at Withdean.

As I say not really my problem and as Granny says feck em. We fought tooth and nail for our club they made gestures only and expected everybody else to act on their behalf.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can only speak of what I remember at the time living in Epsom and being on the committee of Surrey County FA and it is only a view I hold which would not affect the outcome now either way. As regards the speedway track being too small they wanted a pitch at The Spectrum in Guildford but the council refused to accept them. I am certain the area in the middle of the track was measured and was large enough to meet the requirements of the FL but would have been further from the supporters than we were at Withdean.

As I say not really my problem and as Granny says feck em. We fought tooth and nail for our club they made gestures only and expected everybody else to act on their behalf.

The football pitch would have impinged on the greyhound track and whilst they could have moved it would have meant costly rebuilding and obviously Sam Hamman is not someone who dips into his pockets philanthropically and Winkelman saw better long term prospects elsewhere. As I said, until recently, the council haven't been too accommodating. I also find it odd that someone who can get on the Surrey FA committee can have such a negative attitude.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. I also find it odd that someone who can get on the Surrey FA committee can have such a negative attitude.

I think that you will find the middle area was large enough,.

That comes with hearing alternate views as presented to the committee meetings I attended, it wasnt all one sided or didnt appear so. As I said not really my problem just passing an overall opinion.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here