Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The No Recipe Man

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Hi all

For the past couple of years, when not being distracted by all things Albion and NSC, I've been attempting to eke out a living (or at least a partial living) as a freelance writer. As some of you will know, that's easier said than done.

My "thing", such as it is, is cooking without recipes. Some of us do it all the time; but plenty of others are understandably nervous about departing from the step-by-step instructions they read in books, online and on the sides of packets. Either way, there's relatively little reading matter available on the subject, certainly when compared to the zillions of recipes on bookshelves and across the web.

I've written a book, "The No Recipe Manifesto", with the aim of demonstrating that creative cooking isn't as difficult or risky as it might seem. I've worked hard on it, and I don't think it's too bad. But finding a suitable publisher is proving difficult, not because people don't like the material (they do), but because they're reluctant to take a risk on a writer who doesn't already have a TV show, a magazine column or a big online following.

One way or another, the book will come out next year - ideally through a "proper" publisher, but I'll do it myself if need be. Either way, I'd like to get more people reading and (hopefully) enjoying the writing, spreading the word about it, and hopefully buying the book when it does finally come along.

So I've begun posting articles online at http://norecipeman.com. There are ten pieces up so far, all on different aspects of no-recipe cooking, from avoiding food waste to cooking for gamers (plus one slightly sillier piece here).

If any of you good NSC-ers are at all interested in the subject, or simply have a bit of time to kill, do please have a read and if you like it, follow on Facebook/Twitter and/or let others know about it.

And of course, you're welcome to post any comments/constructive criticism here...

Cheers
Tom

(Mods - I trust it's OK to plug this here as it's not profit-making or anything, but any probs let me know. Thanks.)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Great idea. As a chef it's a style I use regularly at home. However I do feel that most people like the security blanket of a recipe and method written down for them. A lot of my cooking is done completely on the hoof with only a rough idea as to the end product.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
they're reluctant to take a risk on a writer who doesn't already have a TV show, a magazine column or a big online following.

You only need a YouTube video to go viral and there will be interest.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Following on Twitter , as TLO says sticking your T-link under your username will attract more followers.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Cheers both - now done (and thanks both for the follows, and to TLO for giving me a shout out via the Albion Roar account).

PS love the Large Al's Cookbook blog as well, I should have said that earlier!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just about to follow with my main twitter a/c (not the one under my name) as that has quite a few cooking and writer types following. Good luck!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Great idea. As a chef it's a style I use regularly at home. However I do feel that most people like the security blanket of a recipe and method written down for them. A lot of my cooking is done completely on the hoof with only a rough idea as to the end product.

Me too (except I'm very much not a chef). I actually don't think I have EVER followed a recipe in my life, apart from cookery class at school decades ago.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I tend to use recipes for cooking times, ie tonight I have a salmon fillet. Happy to prepare the sauce/ seasoning etc without help but have literally no idea how long salmon should be baked for! (And want to avoid food poisoning the family!)

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Me too (except I'm very much not a chef). I actually don't think I have EVER followed a recipe in my life, apart from cookery class at school decades ago.

A good way to be! It surprised me when I was researching the book (which basically involved chatting to people) quite how many people take the complete opposite approach - everything has to be measured to the last second, gram or millilitre. But as I've written on the site, all that really does is create a false impression of dependability - there will always be variations in equipment, ingredients, method and interpretation that mean that a dutifully-followed recipe won't necessarily turn out the same each time. And if it doesn't turn out as planned, you need to have an idea what to do about it. A recipe can't really help you with that.

As TLO says, there are certain types of cooking - pastry being the obvious example - where I wouldn't suggest just winging it, because the dough goes through a major transformation in the oven, and your senses and intuition alone aren't enough to guide you. But for most of the things we cook, it's unnecessary - and sometimes actively unhelpful - to put our faith in the recipe writer rather than our own judgements.

A rather brilliant food writer called Claire Strickett wrote an excellent piece all about this - well worth a read for those interested in the general area.

http://cakeandfinewine.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/the-tyranny-of-the-recipe/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A good way to be! It surprised me when I was researching the book (which basically involved chatting to people) quite how many people take the complete opposite approach - everything has to be measured to the last second, gram or millilitre. But as I've written on the site, all that really does is create a false impression of dependability - there will always be variations in equipment, ingredients, method and interpretation that mean that a dutifully-followed recipe won't necessarily turn out the same each time. And if it doesn't turn out as planned, you need to have an idea what to do about it. A recipe can't really help you with that.

As TLO says, there are certain types of cooking - pastry being the obvious example - where I wouldn't suggest just winging it, because the dough goes through a major transformation in the oven, and your senses and intuition alone aren't enough to guide you. But for most of the things we cook, it's unnecessary - and sometimes actively unhelpful - to put our faith in the recipe writer rather than our own judgements.

A rather brilliant food writer called Claire Strickett wrote an excellent piece all about this - well worth a read for those interested in the general area.

http://cakeandfinewine.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/the-tyranny-of-the-recipe/

Another really interesting link and a very good point well made. I have a huge pile of cookery books but I find myself referring to them less and less. I also take issue with a lot of the cookery shows. Most are 100% lifestyle. Who really has Tom Kerridge's kitchen equipment or Nigel Slater's "leftovers"? A few more of the Delia type shows that teach you the basics would be great and yet there wouldn't be the demand.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
So you can't be bothered to spend time on cooking a meal but you can on playing games and writing?

It's a fair cop :smile:

I do enjoy cooking (it'd be an odd choice of subject area if I didn't), but there's something very pleasing about producing something tasty with next to zero effort, and to be able to use the time saved to do something important and productive, like watching cricket or playing Civilization V...

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Sorry for the self-bouncing - I'm pretty sure that's really bad form - but in case it comes in handy, I've just posted an extract from my forthcoming (eventually) book to the blog - and as it's all about cooking when drunk or hung over, it might come in handy over the next 24 hours or so.

http://norecipeman.com/2013/12/31/the-state-i-am-in/

Also, it features this picture of a plate looking drunk. You're most welcome.

Drunk Plate.jpg

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hi all

(Mods - I trust it's OK to plug this here as it's not profit-making or anything.)

Why are you doing it then? I don't understand. Also it's not very clear what you are trying to do, which is probably why you are having no luck getting published. Don't kid yourself it's because "you're not known/been on telly" etc, it's just not vey coherent. You want to write an instructional book about not following instructions? What is the content? If someone is inclined to cook without recipes, they will not be very likely to buy a book telling them how not to follow recipes. My advice? Don't put any of your own money into this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here