Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Social Services a disgrace

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In my one dealing with social services - when my father had Alzheimers - I thought they were absolutely appalling. They may well have been good people with well meaning intentions, but it was pathetic. They did not know how anything should be done, so everything was done wrong all the time. They had no clue as to what we were entitled to or how to go about getting it. I was astounded as to how in competent they seemed. After trying to get something sorted for well over a year and nothing seemingly happening, they finally offered us some help - two weeks after he had died. Nothing surprises me any more.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Depressingly, this is not unsurprising. Remember that social workers, the authorities and the courts, when it comes to families, have complete and utter power over families.

The family courts are protected and are secret - you can go to prison for divulging what was said in a family court. Social workers statements are given greater weight than parents statements. When couples split mothers are automatically assumed any rights over the children. It's shameful that the government backed down over giving fathers 50/50 access rights.

When it comes to this topic, this country is third world in it's approach.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is Social Service growing some. cast your mind back a few weeks to the tragic case of the dead 4 year left in the house, or the other recent similar stories of serious fatal child neglect, they represent examples of the standard responce. in this scenario, which we dont know all the details of, who are you going to protect, mother or child? you cant always choose both.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
I for one don't agree that they are a disgrace as my wife is a social worker - there are good people and bad working for local authorities across the country in challenging situations and this is a sensationalist story where not all facts are in the public domain. It's like saying all football fans are hooligans. Rant over.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
In my one dealing with social services - when my father had Alzheimers - I thought they were absolutely appalling. They may well have been good people with well meaning intentions, but it was pathetic. They did not know how anything should be done, so everything was done wrong all the time. They had no clue as to what we were entitled to or how to go about getting it. I was astounded as to how in competent they seemed. After trying to get something sorted for well over a year and nothing seemingly happening, they finally offered us some help - two weeks after he had died. Nothing surprises me any more.

My Dad had the same problem when my Mum was in hospital(mind you this was 30 years ago when Alzheimers patients where housed in psychiatric units, which I thought was an abuse even then) and when she died my Dad asked for some help and would if he were still around still be waiting.
social services in this country is an absolute joke.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My Dad had the same problem when my Mum was in hospital(mind you this was 30 years ago when Alzheimers patients where housed in psychiatric units, which I thought was an abuse even then) and when she died my Dad asked for some help and would if he were still around still be waiting.
social services in this country is an absolute joke.

This was 2 years ago. One of the silly situations was that eventually they were willing to pay something like £600 per week towards putting him in a home, but they would not give us the same money to keep him in his own house. He needed 24 hour care, and we were paying over £1,000 a week. They said it was against the rules - it wasn't we found out later, so all my mothers savings were gone in a matter of weeks.

How can this be true? Surely the Italian Government would have had some input regarding the welfare of one of their citizens. Imagine if it happened the other way around. The tabloids would've been all over it.

I'm not so sure. Some American friends of mine spent a year living in Italy, during which time their fourth child was born. When the time came for the family to return to the USA, they had no end of difficulty persuading the Italian authorities that it was reasonable for their youngest, Italian-born son to accompany them on the flight home. "Prove that you're not kidnapping an Italian citizen" seemed to be the approach. The fact that he had a US passport didn't seem to be sufficient evidence.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Clearly, the majority have a strong dislike of Social Services. I wonder what people think we need instead of our current Social Services?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
The family courts are protected and are secret - you can go to prison for divulging what was said in a family court. Social workers statements are given greater weight than parents statements. When couples split mothers are automatically assumed any rights over the children. It's shameful that the government backed down over giving fathers 50/50 access rights.

That is totally wrong, totally. You can discuss the case with anybody you like but after the case has finished. The only thing you cannot reveal are the names of the parties and any children involved in the case.
The other part is also not totally true either, there is more and more movement towards shared parenting. What does screw this up somewhat is mud slinging and pure lies from one of the parties in the case

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Clearly, the majority have a strong dislike of Social Services. I wonder what people think we need instead of our current Social Services?

Maybe a group of people who actually have a clue would be a start.

My mrs current OT is beyond useless, made an appointment for 1.30-2.00 but rang to change it to 1pm. The day of appointment arrives. 1pm comes and goes, she arrived at 1.50pm with the following 2 sentences "sorry I'm late I didn't know how long it would take to get from Lewes to newhaven, by the way I haven't read your notes........". Mrs had got ms with some unique and complex needs, meaning that every healthcare worker that she sees needs to actually read her notes!

Today one if her colleagues rings up asking for Mrs White, I respond that there's a Miss white living here to which the idiot replies "it's not her I want to talk to, it's about your carers assessment Sean" my name is Simon.

Can't even get a name right sums then up as a whole.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Today one if her colleagues rings up asking for Mrs White, I respond that there's a Miss white living here to which the idiot replies "it's not her I want to talk to, it's about your carers assessment Sean" my name is Simon.

So you could not have just said, it is actually Miss White or better still not worry about it

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That is totally wrong, totally. You can discuss the case with anybody you like but after the case has finished. The only thing you cannot reveal are the names of the parties and any children involved in the case.
The other part is also not totally true either, there is more and more movement towards shared parenting. What does screw this up somewhat is mud slinging and pure lies from one of the parties in the case

Agreed - so after a final decision. So you therefore can't make public any potential injustice or lies presented to the court before a decision. Family courts should be the same as criminal courts.

The second part is true - the government came very close to putting into law the right of the father to have a 50/50 access right ( with some conditions ). They backed down. So now, as an "estranged" father I'm at the behest of my ex-wife for access to my children. I want 50/50 - she allows me every other weekend ( and time when she wants to go on holiday without them ). The only way I can change this ? Go to court, spend THOUSANDS and probably get an extra night. If the government hadn't been such cowards then I would have a LEGAL RIGHT to have my children 50% of the time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here