Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes, another Palace thread...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I just can't help feeling a little bit sorry for that lot.*

They have spent millions on very average players in the hope that the new signings could just about keep them in the Prem this season.

I don't know if anyone else had noticed, but even with the tens of millions spent on transfers, Palace are rock bottom and clear favorites for relegation.

What is such a shame is that Palace could have saved all the cash that was spent on guff, for next season in the Championship, bought in a couple of absolute class players which would have rocked the Championship and surely sent them back up to the top.

Or, they could have pumped the cash into the wreck that it Selhurst Park, and made it a half-decent stadium.

Unfortunately, Palace have spent most of their money on 1 year players, they're rock bottom and can look forward to an average season in the Championship next year.

Sometime hindsight can be such a wonderful thing for some. :smile:

*Outright lie.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Don't rule out Pulis shaking them up. There are some poor teams in the bottom half of the PL and some managers with a fraction of the experience or nous of Pulis.
Lot of mileage left in Palace yet.

theboybilly

There'll be a fair bit of money being spent in January by all those clubs milling around at the bottom. But Norwich, Sunderland, West Ham, Stoke and, to a certain extent Cardiff and Hull all have better squads at the moment than Palace. Pulis has a real task just to get a squad to achieve 4th from bottom. He could well do it, but I wouldn't put my house on it. Fulham are in much the same shape as Palace, yet they gave them a football lesson at Selhurst only weeks ago.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
They have also spent less than most of the clubs in the bottom 7 and less than anyone in the premiership on agents fees, I know it would be nice to think they have spent the money but they have spent just over the fee received for zaha
And most of the very avrage players signed are on 1 season contracts!

theboybilly

We'll have a good idea of Palace's chances after their next two games against fellow strugglers at home. But they cannot afford the gap between them and safety to be 10 points or more by the New Year. As the gap is already 6 points and they have Chelsea, City and Villa away it's going to be a tall order.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Pulis is expensive but will not keep them up. I wonder whether they'll have bouncebackability after the battle scars they'll suffer this season. Once they're mathematically down with four or five weeks to go and the rats leave the sinking ship it could be carnage.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Don't rule out Pulis shaking them up. There are some poor teams in the bottom half of the PL and some managers with a fraction of the experience or nous of Pulis.
Lot of mileage left in Palace yet.

A sensible post .

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A sensible post .

Looks like Pulis wants to spend some dosh! Here are your top 10 targets SE20:

Peter Crouch
Height: 6 ft 7 in - 2.01m

Nikola Zigic
Height: 6 ft 7.5 in - 2.02m

Stefan Maierhofer

Costel Pantilimon
Height: 6 ft 8in - 2.03m

Kristof van Hout
Height: 6 ft 10in - 2.07m

Gareth McAuley
Height: 6 ft 4 in - 1.95m

Sebastian Coates
Height: 6 ft 4.5 in - 1.96m

Steven N’Zonzi
Height: 6 ft 1.5 in - 1.90m

Franco Di Santo
Height: 6 ft 3 in - 1.93m

Zat Knight
Height: 6ft 6 in - 2.00m

Welcome to the world of 'second phase'

Another sensible post?

ps I hear a deal to bring this fella in has already been done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_Hogne_Aarøy Joy!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Whilst Pulis plays hideous football, his style is effective and does what it needs to do. I'm going to find their struggle a good watch, 1) as a Brighton fan, it's enjoyable to watch them suffer. 2) This is the ultimate test for a manager, he has been lumbered with a squad that's evidently not premier league standard yet and he is at the bottom of the table.

Rivalry aside, it'll be a good watch to see how palace can reassert themselves; the question is, is the palace job a lost cause already?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
They have also spent less than most of the clubs in the bottom 7 and less than anyone in the premiership on agents fees, I know it would be nice to think they have spent the money but they have spent just over the fee received for Zaha
And most of the very average players signed are on 1 season contracts!
This is a big distortion of the reality. The Winifred Haha "headline" transfer fee depends on appearances and in any case was swallowed whole by Palace's existing debts and running costs.

They have spent millions on transfer fees but the much greater cost is Premier League wages. The truth is they have a large squad of very average players which is costing them a fortune. Papering over the cracks at their dump of a ground also swallows a few million to no great effect.

The appointment of Pulis, and his assertion that he will now be signing even more average players on expensive deals in January, is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Pullis reputation is slightly ill deserved. Yes his teams do like to get the ball forward quickly but so do many teams. They were never long ball merchants like John Beck's Cambridge.

I think it stems from the long throws. If you have a weapon like Delap why not use him.

Pulis will have Palace strong defensively and improve their set pieces, which when Murray comes back could be effective

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Murray is not a proven premiershop striker, their defence isn't up to the mark, and even Pulis (who is overrated) can't polish a turd. Needs to spend a fortune again in the January window, to even have a shout at survival

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Looks like Pulis wants to spend some dosh! Here are your top 10 targets SE20:

Peter Crouch
Height: 6 ft 7 in - 2.01m

Nikola Zigic

Stefan Maierhofer

Costel Pantilimon
Height: 6 ft 8in - 2.03m

Kristof van Hout
Height: 6 ft 10in - 2.07m

Gareth McAuley
Height: 6 ft 4 in - 1.95m

Sebastian Coates
Height: 6 ft 4.5 in - 1.96m

Steven N’Zonzi
Height: 6 ft 1.5 in - 1.90m

Franco Di Santo
Height: 6 ft 3 in - 1.93m

Zat Knight
Height: 6ft 6 in - 2.00m

Welcome to the world of 'second phase'

Another sensible post?

ps I hear a deal to bring this fella in has already been done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_Hogne_Aar%C3%B8y Joy!

Do you have a list of players by maximum throw-in length too?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He should be banned for this thread. Only way to stop them. Repugnant collection of biased posts about a club we couldn't give a shit about (allegedly).

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Pullis reputation is slightly ill deserved. Yes his teams do like to get the ball forward quickly but so do many teams. They were never long ball merchants like John Beck's Cambridge.

I think it stems from the long throws. If you have a weapon like Delap why not use him.

Pulis will have Palace strong defensively and improve their set pieces, which when Murray comes back could be effective

This. It's just a myth that he plays bad football. He started games with two wingers (pennant and etherington). I just never understood why they had a narrow pitch with that system.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whens Murray due back?

I don't think Murray will make much of a difference. I was thinking about this the other day. Murray didn't start doing well until Holloway was manager. He seemed to have the knack of getting the best out of strikers like Murray, Dobbie and Phillips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here