Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boring American Football?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Thought some folks might find this interesting from today. Have become a big American Football fan since moving to the US and often come against the argument that it's too boring to watch, etc...

Alabama are reigning national champions were ranked #1 in the college football standings, Auburn ranked # (and Auburn is in Alabama, so this is a major local derby).

The games is tied with 0:01 left, and Alabama have a field goal attempt to win it - and to make it a little more unbelievable, there wouldn't have been any time left, but an instant replay put a second back on the clock after a reception, allowing Alabama to try for the field goal.

Video with John Lees levels of excitement for the commentary; bit.ly/1ceGki9 - this return meant Auburn came back and won the game with 0:00 on the clock...

Marvelous scenes!

Last edited:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
American football is boring though, the fact that only the Americans have really taken to it must mean something

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Just lol, what a terrible post.

Anyway TC, I've been following it ALOT this season, the girlfriends from Chicago, went to the Ravens game at Soldier Field, absolutely awesome. Great game when you give it a chance, far more tactical depth too.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That game was simply awesome last night. The most sensational end to any game I have seen for a very long time. The Michigan / Ohio State game wasn't bad either. Even the Ducks got a last minute winner Friday. A terrific weekend of college football.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Thought some folks might find this interesting from today. Have become a big American Football fan since moving to the US and often come against the argument that it's too boring to watch, etc...

Alabama are reigning national champions were ranked #1 in the college football standings, Auburn ranked # (and Auburn is in Alabama, so this is a major local derby).

The games is tied with 0:01 left, and Alabama have a field goal attempt to win it - and to make it a little more unbelievable, there wouldn't have been any time left, but an instant replay put a second back on the clock after a reception, allowing Alabama to try for the field goal.

Video with John Lees levels of excitement for the commentary; bit.ly/1ceGki9 - this return meant Auburn came back and won the game with 0:00 on the clock...

Marvelous scenes!

I can demonstrate sports where that level of excitement is seen throughout and not once per decade.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Must come off the fence and say personally I detest the sport. It`s completely dominated by the demands of commercial TV, it takes forever to play an hour, and the endless offence/defence changeovers and timeouts drive you mad.

Also the "franchises" have zero loyalty to the cities in which they play. And finally the NFL doesn`t even have promotion/relegation to liven things up.

All in all a great many things for proper football to take note of, and avoid.

Only my opinion. If you like it, cool.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
American football is boring though, the fact that only the Americans have really taken to it must mean something

a) In your opinion, most likely based on casual ignorance of the sport.
b) You've not noticed the Wembley crowds for the NFL games then.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Must come off the fence and say personally I detest the sport. It`s completely dominated by the demands of commercial TV, it takes forever to play an hour, and the endless offence/defence changeovers and timeouts drive you mad.

Also the "franchises" have zero loyalty to the cities in which they play. And finally the NFL doesn`t even have promotion/relegation to liven things up.

The idea that NFL franchises have no loyalty to their communities is outdated. The New Orleans Saints could easily have abandoned the city after the hurricane - the stadium was wrecked and LA and San Antonio wanted them - but stayed to become a focus of regeneration.

Last edited:

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I love America football, with a passion. However giving an example of an exciting end to the game isn't likely to win many over. A 'boring as ********s' game of English football that is won with a 40-yd strike in the 94th minute is still a boring game. American football is more about ongoing, continuing excitement rather than a single big moment, to me.

It was a bloody good game though. :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure I've ever heard people criticise it for being boring. Being stop start, sure. For taking three hours to play a 60 minute game, definitely. For being a bunch of guys wearing padding to play rugby, of course. For being too confusing, constant changing of teams, submitting to the whims of TV demands, yes. But I've never heard it called boring.

I like watching the nfl on sky sports sometimes, the above isn't intended as a criticism of American football, just e common complaints I've heard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd suggest that you've not watched for a while.
The NFL were/are acutely aware of how the games were dragging, and have taken steps to speed it up.
Also the "franchises" have zero loyalty to the cities in which they play.
The franchises with zero loyalty are all the 'new money', chasing more money.
Given the chance I'm sure Hull would leave for say Leeds, or Cardiff would run into the open arms of Birmingham.
While NY, Chicago, Denver, Green Bay et al would NEVER leave their home, just like Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

Not many teams playing at a worn out ground, with worn out fans, would be able to resist a billion dollar purpose built stadium and 100,000 new fans.
And finally the NFL doesn't even have promotion/relegation to liven things up.
Play off, same principle in reverse.

Although the worse team getting the best prospect always has me scratching my head.
Hardly a big incentive to do well once it looks like the season is over.

Instant technology review, referees, day long game experience, player access,

oh and riddled with PED, hey you can't win the all.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
He came dangerously close to the sideline on the run back. Great action.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Marvelous scenes!

What happened to the defence of the side that conceded the touchdown ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Although the worse team getting the best prospect always has me scratching my head.
Hardly a big incentive to do well once it looks like the season is over.

But look at the number of different teams who have reached the Super Bowl over the past decade compared to the number of PL winners. The idea of any team outside the usual top four winning the PL is preposterous because everything here is designed to help the rich get richer. But in the communist NFL, with its equitable wealth distribution, it's possible. Normal, even.

Winners since 2003: New England (2), Pittsburgh (2), NY Giants (2), Green Bay, Baltimore, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Tampa Bay.
Runners up: New England (2), Pittsburgh, Oakland, Carolina, Philadelphia, Seattle, Chicago, Arizona, Indianapolis, San Francisco.

PL Champs in the same period: Manchester United 6, Chelsea 3, Arsenal 2, Man City 1

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I like it, but I'll always prefer proper football to American football

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Marvelous scenes!

Enjoy American Football and seen some great college games on BT Sport.
A question though, if there was a second on the clock for the kick, how come play continued when it fell short? Doesn't time finish on the clock hitting 0:00? I didn't realise the play continued as long as it was live, beyond the match time being over.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
I live in Alabama and watched it with a load of Auburn fans (I've adopted the Crimson Tide) but to soften the blow of defeat I put a £50 bet on Auburn to win at 3/1.... therefore I couldn't really lose! What an amazing game though, and not just for the final second!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Enjoy American Football and seen some great college games on BT Sport.
A question though, if there was a second on the clock for the kick, how come play continued when it fell short? Doesn't time finish on the clock hitting 0:00? I didn't realise the play continued as long as it was live, beyond the match time being over.

No, the game ends when the final play is completed once time has expired. If he hadn't caught the ball or had his run stopped, the game would have been over, but as he caught it the ball was still alive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here