Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In the hope I'm tempting fate.....Lopez

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Always shied away from lambasting Lopez, basically because I usually avoid playing bashing - unless they are really poor. So here goes: Lopez is really poor. I was very disappointed with his application today, looked prepared to let others put in the spade work and offered little creative spark. I do appreciate there have been a few flickers of quality from him this season, but overall, performances are lacklustre and...well anonymous. I'd love to see him put in a run of classy displays (and negate another thread of this nature, hence the title heading) but the games are running out. Perhaps, like the rest of us, he realises his days will be numbered when we have a full squad to pick from....

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I completely agree with most of that. But I strongly believe he will come good. Last season he started off awfully. I remember one specific incident when he took a free kick (his 2nd/3rd game I think). And he literally just passed it softly towards the one (opposing) player in the wall. But five games later he improved, and towards the end of the season he was arguably one of our best.

This season he has started poorly again. But it's important to remember he joined us late, so it will naturally take longer to find form. But let's be honest, he has had plenty of time to find form now. He still shows flashes of quality (Doncaster) but not consistent enough. He needs to find his feet fast, and I'm confident he will.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Agree. He was prone to inconsistency last season but the moments of quality more than made up for it. But the flashes of genius have all but dried up this season. It makes me wonder if there was more to the 'will he, won't he' riddle over a new contract at the end of 2012/13. Surely a great opportunity to make his case this year, but he hasn't. What's most annoying is his apparent apathy when others are busting a gut. For all his critics, Barnes always looks like he leaves everything on the pitch, I respect him for that, even when the goals don't go in (like it did today, what a goal!)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I completely agree with most of that. But I strongly believe he will come good. Last season he started off awfully. I remember one specific incident when he took a free kick (his 2nd/3rd game I think). And he literally just passed it softly towards the one (opposing) player in the wall. But five games later he improved, and towards the end of the season he was arguably one of our best.

David Lopez 2013.11.29.jpg

He didn't feature much early, but as you can see, though his ratings were a bit up and down there was a noticeable improvement as the season wore on, and already this season he has shown a trend that if it continues will see a greater rate of improvement.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lopez is like Orlandi, a lightweight, luxury player. Not physically imposing. Others have to do the hard grind around them. You play them for their creativity. You hope that one moment of skill will change a game. Lopez is our biggest threat from free-kicks and is solid from the penalty spot. He will have quiet games. You have to expect that.
He is worth perservering with.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Lopez is like Orlandi, a lightweight, luxury player. Not physically imposing. Others have to do the hard grind around them. You play them for their creativity. You hope that one moment of skill will change a game. Lopez is our biggest threat from free-kicks and is solid from the penalty spot. He will have quiet games. You have to expect that.
He is worth perservering with.

I appreciate Lopez is never going to be a midfield terrier. But I'd expect a bit more effort in tracking back and competing for the loose balls. Yes Orlandi is also lightweight and can change a game with a deft through ball or cross but he also looks committed and prepared to tackle and hurry the opposition. Most clubs have at least one luxury player but they are guys who have a blinder every few games. Not seen any of those from Lopez this season....due respect, but how luxurious does he have to be?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

This season he has started poorly again. But it's important to remember he joined us late, so it will naturally take longer to find form. But let's be honest, he has had plenty of time to find form now. He still shows flashes of quality (Doncaster) but not consistent enough. He needs to find his feet fast, and I'm confident he will.

He has had quite a lot of game time and I'm not sure how much more we can give him. He is probably only playing because there have been so many players out and I would easily put Conway above him in the pecking order, so when Orlandi, Buckley and KLL are back in the frame I doubt Lopez will even make the bench.

I would have thought he would be playing for his contract and I can see why we only gave him a year. He has been more like Jenifer Lopez so far this season tbh.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lack of pre-season preparation has killed his first half of the season. He lacks bite, penetration and zip, he's 10% off.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lack of pre-season preparation has killed his first half of the season. He lacks bite, penetration and zip, he's 10% off.

I'm struggling with this pre season bit. we all want to be loyal but let's face it he has been shite.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm struggling with this pre season bit. we all want to be loyal but let's face it he has been shite.

He hasn't been recovering from a serious injury and I can understand some rustiness from a poor pre-season. But hey, that was nearly FIVE MONTHS AGO. Remember, these are professional athletes, he should have been up to speed with both body and match fitness months ago.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Always shied away from lambasting Lopez, basically because I usually avoid playing bashing - unless they are really poor. So here goes: Lopez is really poor. I was very disappointed with his application today, looked prepared to let others put in the spade work and offered little creative spark. I do appreciate there have been a few flickers of quality from him this season, but overall, performances are lacklustre and...well anonymous. I'd love to see him put in a run of classy displays (and negate another thread of this nature, hence the title heading) but the games are running out. Perhaps, like the rest of us, he realises his days will be numbered when we have a full squad to pick from....

No they aren't. They really aren't. There's AGES left of the season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He hasn't been recovering from a serious injury and I can understand some rustiness from a poor pre-season. But hey, that was nearly FIVE MONTHS AGO. Remember, these are professional athletes, he should have been up to speed with both body and match fitness months ago.

In theory you should be right but I think some need the full pre-season more than others. Is he missing Gus?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He only came good last season when he took over at full back so perhaps play him as the full back with Calderon in front of him. Might re-ignite SD's season!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Lopez was one of my favourite players last season but he's been really disappointing thus far under Oscar. Massively frustrating because we all know he's got it in him to be one of the very best in the division.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
I was one of the fans that petitioned him back. The guy needs to pull his finders out his ass and start contributing to the team because we are losing some serious points. FFS Spanish Dave what's going on. One minute you'll have a blinder and the next you will be shithouse. Sort it out :/

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
He has been terrible this season like a few others. Not sure why but the pre season excuse is long gone. He doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the first 11.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
View attachment 49207

He didn't feature much early, but as you can see, though his ratings were a bit up and down there was a noticeable improvement as the season wore on, and already this season he has shown a trend that if it continues will see a greater rate of improvement.
You have to love the way your stats are based on NSC player ratings..... Loooooooool yh really accurate!! Lool

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's funny how opinions vary. I didn't think he was terrible yesterday, certainly not deserving of this thread. He started pretty well and then his performance dropped after their goal, like everyone else.

However, I think our momentum dropped after he was replaced by Orlandi, who wasn't up with the pace of the game. That's not a criticism of Orlandi, who's been out a long time and needs the games, just an observation.

I think Lopez is starting to improve and hopefully will get better like last season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Right full-back could be the answer for Lopez, particularly as he lacks pace. Its obvious that Bruno and Calderon are the weak links, neither can defend at this level. He looked quite good there before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here