Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Friends Reunited for Elphick

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Bournemouth defender Tommy Elphick admits he is counting the hours until his first game against the Albion.

In a seven-year playing career with the Seagulls, the 26-year-old emerged as a real fans’ favourite and he is looking forward to catching up with a few familiar faces at the Goldsands Stadium tomorrow.He told seagulls.co.uk, “When the fixtures came out it was the first game I looked for. I am hoping to see some old faces, and I’m also looking forward to seeing the fans because I had a great connection with them and still get letters from some of the supporters’ clubs.
“I was involved with the first team from quite a young age alongside some real old school pros. It was a daunting place to train but they would keep you in line and help you, and that has stood me in good stead.
“I saw five or six managers, two different chairmen and two different stadiums during my time there – it was eventful but I loved every minute.”
Elphick, who made 182 appearances, was with the Albion as the club battled for the new stadium at Falmer, but an Achilles injury picked up at the end of the League One title-winning season meant he missed the entire first campaign at the Amex.
“I remember being at the game when the stadium opened and I was sitting in the players’ lounge and I was absolutely gutted.
“When I was 18 I had signed a five year contract, and was sold a vision by the chairman and the manager that I would be their captain and lead the side out at the new stadium, and when it came to the first game, I was injured. It was heart wrenching, but equally I was delighted that the club had come that far.”
Elphick moved to Bournemouth in the summer of 2012 and having picked up another promotion into the Championship last season, he now has that captain’s armband and admits sentiment will be put to one side once the game kicks off.
“It’s just another game; if I treat it differently there is something wrong. As players, we are rivals - there is no room for sentiment. What happens at Brighton doesn’t really affect me - you have to let go.
“The only reason I joined Bournemouth was because I thought we could get to the level Brighton were at. We have and now ultimately I want Bournemouth to finish above Brighton.”
For Albion fans travelling to the game tomorrow, read more from Tommy and fellow ex-Seagull Steve Cook in Bournemouth’s ‘Matchday’ programme, which also features Wes Fogden and Andrea Orlandi

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here