Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth - regional rivals? big game? meh? What do YOU think?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's an odd one really. Falmer to Dean Court is 101 miles according to Google Maps. It's got to be stretching it to call that game a derby of any sort, even "south coast derby", surely?

But we've had needle with them in the past, in the 70s in particular (before my time). Their away end used to be called the Brighton Beach End, because it was stony rubble. We always take a few there. They don't like us much, or certainly didn't used to.

So what does this fixture do for you? It's not like Pompey is it? I love beating them because I can't STAND those twunts. They are our second biggest rivals IMO and always will be. Southampton seems to provoke similar passions to some of our fan base - not me, but I do understand it as they have been top dogs in the south (almost unbroken) for 40 years now. But Bournemouth? Meh. I think I dislike Reading more. Actually there's no "think" about it.

So what about you?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's big for them. Not for us. Probably like how Pompey's big for some of us, but not for them.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Just another game. Like all 46 are.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Like a lot of this stuff it will depend on age (e.g. there must be a generation of Albion fans for whom Leyton Orient hold special significance...).

My first game was 1976, so I don't remember the years before then, but I have always understood that Bournemouth have a special place in the list of clubs we clashed with off the field.

We need the pink fairy to tell us more.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We were direct rivals for promotion in the 71-72 season and it was very satisfying to beat them to it, especially as they were so widely-feted because of Ted McDougall, while we were largely ignored by the national media. But otherwise? Small club in the middle of nowhere. Like Swindon. Not as significant a bump on our landscape as Millwall, Watford or Reading.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Small club, no rivalry but a degree of anger over the proportion of airtime on local news that they get compared to us.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Like a lot of this stuff it will depend on age (e.g. there must be a generation of Albion fans for whom Leyton Orient hold special significance...).

My first game was 1976, so I don't remember the years before then, but I have always understood that Bournemouth have a special place in the list of clubs we clashed with off the field.

We need the pink fairy to tell us more.

I think the majority of people will wish Orient well. From that era, I think Reading and Swindon are more dislked.

However Back to the original question, I dont think anyone is that fussed. I don't see how you can dislike them its good to have another south coast team in the league too, much better than another Northern outpost such a Barnsley or Wigan.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Code:
They mean a bit more than most due to the fact we have history off the pitch , share region and they dont seem to like us at all.

They are probably the same sort of dislike as Reading are for most of us.

Nothing gets close to the hate of Pompey and Palace

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's no more a "south coast derby" than Blackpool v Doncaster is a "crappy northern town derby" or Crawley v Southend is "commuter towns derby". It's nonsense made up by the local media.

To me, Bournemouth are nothing more than another club to be swept aside on our quest for glory

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I have never had any particular dislike of Bournemouth apart from the fact we always seem to lose when I go and watch us there :facepalm:

Palace, Pompey, Reading, Gillingham, Southampton. even Swindon, are all Clubs I dislike more than Bournemouth.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm in the just another game camp, its a pain to get to, even at proper ko time and its further than quite a few other club this season.

If I had to put into order the away games I would least want to lose at the start of the season Bournemouth would come firmly in the bottom half

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If I had to put into order the away games I would least want to lose at the start of the season Bournemouth would come firmly in the bottom half
That is a good way of thinking about it... one season of "rivalry" more than 40 years ago doesn't really get the juices flowing.

We were direct rivals for promotion in the 71-72 season and it was very satisfying to beat them to it, especially as they were so widely-feted because of Ted McDougall, while we were largely ignored by the national media. But otherwise? Small club in the middle of nowhere. Like Swindon. Not as significant a bump on our landscape as Millwall, Watford or Reading.

Fist and boots flying in the north stand that season,females getting attacked down there,that season was a bit fiery,Also villa pulling in a crowd of around 48,000 for the villa v b'muff:eek:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My list of rivals would see Bournemouth about 6th to be honest. I’ve actually got a soft spot of them and to a much, much lesser extent Palace too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here