Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rare video - 1973: Brighton 0-4 Walton & Hersham - Albion's worst FA Cup defeat!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

'...amateurs Walton and Hersham...' They were, of course, 'shamateurs', as I believe were every club in the Isthmian League (I think it still had only the one division at this point, although it absorbed the three divisions of the Athenian League one at a time). The FA Amateur Cup competition was disbanded shortly afterward because of this hypocrisy. I'm stunned the crowd was nearly 10000 on a Wednesday afternoon! What did W&H do in the 2nd Round?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's that video from the match at the Goldstone...

Apologies for it not including Foskett's hat-trick :angel:

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
'... I'm stunned the crowd was nearly 10000 on a Wednesday afternoon!

That was of course the Brian Clough factor that drew the crowds in, and for some reason the crowds always seemed better mid week at that time, unlike the Amex today. Seem to remember the next match was another home thrashing when Bristol Rovers got 8 past us. The only good point about this episode is that we had reached rock bottom, thereafter it was all up and the glory years followed, our rise to the top flight and an FA Cup Final.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That was of course the Brian Clough factor that drew the crowds in, and for some reason the crowds always seemed better mid week at that time, unlike the Amex today. Seem to remember the next match was another home thrashing when Bristol Rovers got 8 past us. The only good point about this episode is that we had reached rock bottom, thereafter it was all up and the glory years followed, our rise to the top flight and an FA Cup Final.

After being tonked 4-0 by Walton and Hersham, if someone had said that within ten years we'd reach the FA Cup Final, I wonder what the response would have been!

Would a three day working week have made it easier to get to games starting at 1.45pm?

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here