Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Friday Massacre

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
HAPPY BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPERS.

On this day 149 years ago (29th November 1864) 700 Colorado Territory Militia descended on the village of Sand Creek and slaughtered the Cheyenne and Arapaho villagers, two thirds of whom were women and children who were waiting to surrender to the U.S forces. Despite previous promises of peace and the rights to their own lands the tribes had been more and more marginalised because gold had been discovered on their land. Chivington and his militia "bravely" waited until all the males of fighting age had left the camp on a hunt and under a white flag run up by the Indians the massacre commenced:

Before Chivington and his men left the area, they plundered the tipis and took the horses. After the smoke cleared, Chivington's men came back and killed many of the wounded. They also scalped many of the dead, regardless of whether they were women, children or infants. Chivington and his men dressed their weapons, hats and gear with scalps and other body parts, including human fetuses and male and female genitalia. They also publicly displayed these battle trophies in Denver's Apollo Theater and area saloons. Three Indians who remained in the village are known to have survived the massacre: George Bent's brother Charlie Bent, and two Cheyenne women who were later turned over to William Bent.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Grotesque...I had no idea of the origin of the phrase. Utterly macabre that they now use it in a celebratory way.

The term "black" is used to refer to someone or something that is in the black, in credit and not a minus as in "in the red". The sale has nothing to do with the above

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The term "black" is used to refer to someone or something that is in the black, in credit and not a minus as in "in the red". The sale has nothing to do with the above

My point wasn't that it was named Black Friday. I didn't claim this is where the term Black Friday came from. My point was that a day after Thanksgiving this massacre occurred and instead of any kind of recognition from the people who have benefited from the demise, exploitation and slaughter of the First Nation they decide to go shopping.

I really hope this ridiculous "tradition" doesn't take a hold over here.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps some people should Google the origins of Thanksgiving and Black Friday before they form an opinion. Some posters on here are easily lead.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
My point wasn't that it was named Black Friday. I didn't claim this is where the term Black Friday came from. My point was that a day after Thanksgiving this massacre occurred and instead of any kind of recognition from the people who have benefited from the demise, exploitation and slaughter of the First Nation they decide to go shopping.

I really hope this ridiculous "tradition" doesn't take a hold over here.

Judging by the amount of spam I am getting offerings these deals I think it may already have done...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But the thread title is "Black Friday massacre".

Read Slowly:

My point is that while US folk are enjoying thanksgiving and giving a day of shopping a name the reason they can enjoy such excess is due to the earlier slaughter of First Nation tribes.

Repeat until understood.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Read Slowly:

My point is that while US folk are enjoying thanksgiving and giving a day of shopping a name the reason they can enjoy such excess is due to the earlier slaughter of First Nation tribes.

Repeat until understood.

It's hard to understand you at the best of times, but that sentence is nonsensical.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's hard to understand you at the best of times, but that sentence is nonsensical.

It makes perfect sense.

Jesus, is it me?

My point, should you need it made again, is that TODAY, as in 29th November, has other resonance for certain sections of the US population and while modern US citizens are spanking their cash in shops after stuffing their faces yesterday there are other relevant events that occurred on this date worth remembering too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It makes perfect sense.

Jesus, is it me?

My point, should you need it made again, is that TODAY, as in 29th November, has other resonance for certain sections of the US population and while modern US citizens are spanking their cash in shops after stuffing their faces yesterday there are other relevant events that occurred on this date worth remembering too.

Nobody is stopping you remembering it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nobody is stopping you remembering it.

I never said they were. I started a thread as I thought it was an interesting date to note. You don't. Fair enough. I'm sorry you didn't get it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I never said they were. I started a thread as I thought it was an interesting date to note. You don't. Fair enough. I'm sorry you didn't get it.

I get it ok, especially when you tried to tag it to shopping. If you had started this thread separately and not mentioned shoppers, then maybe you would have had a point.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
But Nibble, history is pretty long. If we can't go shopping when there was massacre on the day in a previous year we'd never go shopping (which wouldn't be a bas thing I guess)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I get it ok, especially when you tried to tag it to shopping. If you had started this thread separately and not mentioned shoppers, then maybe you would have had a point.

Well clearly you haven't "got it". The point is that while the yanks are giving thanks and spanking their wealth on trinkets and discounted goods perhaps they should take time to remember that the wealth and feasting they now enjoy came at a huge price for others.

And it's darkly ironic that on the very day after their feasting and on the very day they have a retail festival it is the anniversary of one of the most cowardly massacres in their history.

It's a very clear link, I'm sorry I haven't explained it well enough for you to understand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here