Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Harper on Poyet.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was on a ferry this morning listening to The Times footy podcast which was recorded in Newcastle & Steve Harper was offering his opinion on our old manager.
He said that every time a PL job became available on the tv in front of the players, Gus would become excited & actually ask the players if he should go for the job.

Sorry for old news but I'm in the back of beyond at the moment.

Couldn't help thinking that this attitude might just affect players mentality leading up to a play off semi. That & his comments to the players about contract negotiation.

Steve Harper came across really well by the way.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Harper made 5 appearances for us. How many PL jobs came up in that time?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
An option from a loanee who was here for just one month, 18 months before the playoffs? One who came across as bitter a couple of months later, when we knocked his beloved Newcastle out of the FA cup, whilst punditrying for ESPN? We then repeated that feat 11 months later. The results running up to the playoff semis didn't seem to affect the players in any way.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As said above, Harper was here AGES ago... Wasn't it the first few months of us being at the Amex ?

Smells like bullshit to me. Also did Poyet often watch TV with the players, did he go round their houses in the evening ?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I was on a ferry this morning listening to The Times footy podcast which was recorded in Newcastle & Steve Harper was offering his opinion on our old manager.
He said that every time a PL job became available on the tv in front of the players, Gus would become excited & actually ask the players if he should go for the job.

Couldn't help thinking that this attitude might just affect players mentality leading up to a play off semi. That & his comments to the players about contract negotiation.

May be true, BUT:

Harper = Newcastle
Poyet = Sunderland

Just making that point...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Just saying what I heard fellas. I would imagine that SSN is quite popular at training ground canteens by the way.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just saying what I heard fellas. I would imagine that SSN is quite popular at training ground canteens by the way.

Ok, well I checked it out. Steve Harper joined Brighton on 24 October 2011 on a one month loan. During that period the number of premier league vacancies that were already available or came up were precisely... zero

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Ok, well I checked it out. Steve Harper joined Brighton on 24 October 2011 on a one month loan. During that period the number of premier league vacancies that were already available or came up were precisely... zero

Brilliant. End of thread.

Jobs that came up zero,managers that may be vulnerable during that time?2 or 3?We all know Gus used to Brass himself for anything that came along,just thankful for what Gus did for us but even more thankful that He's now ****ed off out of it.

D

Deleted User X18H

I offer you a small insight here as a one off, prior to Gus' Thursday press call he would often grab a coffee and watch SSN with myself and who ever else was there early. Once or twice the main news was a PL manger getting fired , I can't remember who. Gus would clap his hands and rub them together and say something like ' here we go' but always in jest , only ever in jest .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Steve Harper was always a poor goalkeeper and will go on to be a bottom rung pundit in the Dixon mould. Opinionated but ignored because of the chip on his shoulder.

And did anyone think he was not like this? Started several months into his tenure at brighton:tosser:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here