Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Purple patch or normal service resumed

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Is our recent run of results just a purple patch or is it the team turning the corner?

Winning 3 matches against teams who have not been setting the world on fire.

Given our crippling injury list have we just found a formula to scrape a few results together while we are under strength or are we building the foundations for when we are back up to strength to take this division by storm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't see us dropping any more points this season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Get real we will but yes we have turned a corner but with the same players so what happens when the injured ones return is anyones guess.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Definitely a purple patch, we're slap-bang in the middle of a relegation scrap and we'll be lucky to still be in this league next season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Isn't our normal service run of wins, 'run of draws and losses, run of wins and draws, run of draws and losses, run of wins and draws'? Occasionally, the run of wins lasts quite long. But essentially our normal service is a cyclical purple patch.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Isn't our normal service run of wins, 'run of draws and losses, run of wins and draws, run of draws and losses, run of wins and draws'? Occasionally, the run of wins lasts quite long. But essentially our normal service is a cyclical purple patch.

So where will our cyclical purple patch leave us at the end of the season

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That was a very Poyet-esque performance against Wigan, very reminiscent of our late-season wins against Hull and Cardiff last year. So is Oscar just settling back on what the squad knows until he gets the injured players back and can then push on with his own changes?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Get real we will but yes we have turned a corner but with the same players so what happens when the injured ones return is anyones guess.
Blimey Beachy, I take it you'd had a tiring and emotional day.
There's only 2 ways to answer such a question, and between us me and Husty have got it covered.
Anything else is, as WikiAcker points out, is all a bit... well pointless.

That was a very Poyet-esque performance against Wigan, very reminiscent of our late-season wins against Hull and Cardiff last year. So is Oscar just settling back on what the squad knows until he gets the injured players back and can then push on with his own changes?
Hmmmm are you saying Poyet invented and owns the style of play that is essentially:-

We're away from home, keep it tight at the back, reign in the wide players, break up the midfield, and try and nick one on the break.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We had a total of 17 shots, away from home, does that really sound Poyet-esque?

Time to move on from the Poyet love in to the Oscar love in, surely? Even from a great win you are finding negatives with Oscar. The changes are already afoot from the games I've seen. Possession is not quite as good but the breaks are much more often and adventurous ...imo

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Time to move on from the Poyet love in to the Oscar love in, surely? Even from a great win you are finding negatives with Oscar. The changes are already afoot from the games I've seen. Possession is not quite as good but the breaks are much more often and adventurous ...imo
Not to mention the fact that Wigan & this Saturdays team, style and performance, will be completely different to what Barnsley will face on Tuesday.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We've turned a corner but also a purple patch . Fine margins as look at the 3 wins - Donny we were shit second half but got out of jail . Blackburn was a much closer game than 3-0 with kuzcack almost mom and Wigan game hinged on the holt one on one .

Amazing run but I think our league position is fair .

Keep it going next 3 games and will say we have come of age

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Hmmmm are you saying Poyet invented and owns the style of play that is essentially:-

We're away from home, keep it tight at the back, reign in the wide players, break up the midfield, and try and nick one on the break.

Just going on what the eyes told me. I mean, if we decide that all styles of play are basically the same, doesn't leave much to discuss :shrug:

I don't know Icy, we averaged 11 shots a game last season, but then the best team only averaged 12.5 - we played a great game and I am shifting to the Oscar love-in now. How can you find negativity in my comment - unless you think everything comes with an agenda? If anything it makes complete sense that Oscar might try and keep it simple, why try and impose a new style of play on the team when half of your first choice players are injured and can't even join in training. A massive run of losses will do nobody any good.

But one of you is saying we're not allowed to compare to Gus and the other staying we can't talk styles of play, thats all a bit daft isn't it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Albion is always a roller coaster. Just when you think you're on the up, you slide down and when you think that it's not going to get better, up you go. I wouldn't have it any other way. Who needs boring?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

If that's nailed on, will we need to be looking at ways of trying to increase the capacity of the ground again? And which players would you like to see us recruit?

But coming down to earth I think it is a mixture of purple patch and finding our feet. Sometimes you make your own luck. And we do have a good coach who is quietly making his presence felt. Oscar is the future.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just going on what the eyes told me. I mean, if we decide that all styles of play are basically the same, doesn't leave much to discuss :shrug:

But one of you is saying we're not allowed to compare to Gus and the other staying we can't talk styles of play, thats all a bit daft isn't it?
I was pointing out the fact that you can't attribute 'How to win away 1.01' from the original coaching manual, as a Poyet-esque performance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think we've had a little bit of good fortune so far this season, but I also think we've been due a bit.

With a full strength squad available we shouldn't be needing too much luck however. This squad is capable of a play-off position if deployed correctly. Over to you Oscar...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I was pointing out the fact that you can't attribute 'How to win away 1.01' from the original coaching manual, as a Poyet-esque performance.

OK. However, do you really agree with this analysis of the game: "We're away from home, keep it tight at the back, reign in the wide players, break up the midfield, and try and nick one on the break."?

We didn't only attack on the break, we tried to build up play and work it wide. We tried quick passing and ball retention in the middle of the park, it was Wigan who tried to break up the midfield and attack fast. We used width at every opportunity, particularly via Bruno on one side and Conway on the other.

I agree that our midfield closing was very good and we didn't stand of as much as we could do under Gus.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
OK. However, do you really agree with this analysis of the game: "We're away from home, keep it tight at the back, reign in the wide players, break up the midfield, and try and nick one on the break."?

We didn't only attack on the break, we tried to build up play and work it wide. We tried quick passing and ball retention in the middle of the park, it was Wigan who tried to break up the midfield and attack fast. We used width at every opportunity, particularly via Bruno on one side and Conway on the other.

I agree that our midfield closing was very good and we didn't stand of as much as we could do under Gus.

The whole point of bringing Garcia was to carry on the style of football under Poyet whilst improving it with a bit more attacking oompf and that is what we are seeing. What point are you possibly trying to make here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here