Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Friday in the UK - Will you be buying anything ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
ASDA, PC World, John Lewis, Amazon and other stores are getting involved in the US speciality of Black Friday shopping, with lots of items heavily reduced.

ASDA for example start their "Black Friday Sale" in store only by selling Tablets on a first come first serve basis for only £49 (reportedly). Amazon are also doing "lightning sales" where items are heavily discounted for a certain period of time (IE 2 hours) and/or until a certain amount of the item has sold out.

So, who is taking part in this American import to get some reduced items ?

(PS - Today is Thanksgiving in the US and since everyone has tomorrow off over there, they all go shopping - their equivalent of Boxing Day basically).

ASDA, PC World, John Lewis, Amazon and other stores are getting involved in the US speciality of Black Friday shopping, with lots of items heavily reduced.

ASDA for example start their "Black Friday Sale" in store only by selling Tablets on a first come first serve basis for only £49 (reportedly). Amazon are also doing "lightning sales" where items are heavily discounted for a certain period of time (IE 2 hours) and/or until a certain amount of the item has sold out.

So, who is taking part in this American import to get some reduced items ?

(PS - Today is Thanksgiving in the US and since everyone has tomorrow off over there, they all go shopping - their equivalent of Boxing Day basically).

Fine if what is on offer is something you actually need, otherwise Meh!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Today is Thanksgiving in the US and since everyone has tomorrow off over there, they all go shopping...
Not quite all of us... we may have the day off, but we most assuredly are not spending it shopping.

Non qui parum habet, sed qui plus cupit, pauper est.

It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.

Seneca, Epistulae Morales 2.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
RSD is a good concept*IF* you don't mind queueing for hours to pay through the nose for your swag. Not exactly a great way of spreading the gospel of the inclusivity of your local record store and vinyl in general ??? (IMHO)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
meh, last year on Amazon was lots of tat and stuff thats usually discounted anyway.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Amazon have been doing it all week so far, as said by telscombe seagull. But some of the deals have been awful.

Also on the subject of deal. Did anyone else know that amazon run something called lightning deals from Monday to Wednesday throughout the year. They have done for a while. Sometimes can bag a bargain If you have the time to check the deals.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Never heard of it, but if it's yet another American 'tradition', like Halloween, being foisted on us, I think I'll pass

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Never heard of it, but if it's yet another American 'tradition', like Halloween, being foisted on us, I think I'll pass

It's actually quite good. If you go on amazon be careful as they sometimes rise the prices of the item and then drop them to what they was. So it looks like your getting a bargain but actually not.
I would recommend having a look.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not quite all of us... we may have the day off, but we most assuredly are not spending it shopping.

Non qui parum habet, sed qui plus cupit, pauper est.

It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.

Seneca, Epistulae Morales 2.

Loved reading Seneca ....and Pliny the younger

The Friday after Thanksgiving only became the busiest shopping day of the US year in 2003. The next year its significance dropped, and it's only since 2005 that this day has been firmly established as top day for shopping. Why? Heavy advertising by Walmart and other big players in the US retail industry.

Should we give a damn? I don't think so.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
The only things i will be buying tomorrow is my charlton tickets if the club sort out there website and a loaf of bread, i can only but hope they are discounted

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Loved reading Seneca ....and Pliny the younger

Seneca's strictures against greed, and for contentment with a sufficiency, are harder to take coming not only from a millionaire, but from a millionaire whose loan-sharking operations in Britain seem to have been a major reason for Boudicca's revolt, as per Dio Cassius.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Seneca's strictures against greed, and for contentment with a sufficiency, are harder to take coming not only from a millionaire, but from a millionaire whose loan-sharking operations in Britain seem to have been a major reason for Boudicca's revolt, as per Dio Cassius.

Yep, that's what I was going to say.

Fortunately my TV has just packed up so I'm now on the lookout for a bargain 50" replacement.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Albion have their own Black Friday for ex pats to order their stuff online. I believe locals can get discounted goods on Monday but haven't really looked into it myself.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I noticed a Black Friday promotion on the seagulls.co.uk site the other day - had no idea what it was until I checked wikipedia - why is it suddenly being pushed in the UK? but no doubt it will become an established thing

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Find it odd that they call it Black Friday.....sounds grim to me, like a funeral or a disaster.

To some it is:

On this day 149 years ago (29th November 1864) 700 Colorado Territory Militia descended on the village of Sand Creek and slaughtered the Cheyenne and Arapaho villagers, two thirds of whom were women and children who were waiting to surrender to the U.S forces. Despite previous promises of peace and the rights to their own lands the tribes had been more and more marginalised because gold had been discovered on their land. Chivington and his militia "bravely" waited until all the males of fighting age had left the camp on a hunt and under a white flag run up by the Indians the massacre commenced:

Before Chivington and his men left the area, they plundered the tipis and took the horses. After the smoke cleared, Chivington's men came back and killed many of the wounded. They also scalped many of the dead, regardless of whether they were women, children or infants. Chivington and his men dressed their weapons, hats and gear with scalps and other body parts, including human fetuses and male and female genitalia. They also publicly displayed these battle trophies in Denver's Apollo Theater and area saloons. Three Indians who remained in the village are known to have survived the massacre: George Bent's brother Charlie Bent, and two Cheyenne women who were later turned over to William Bent.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
To some it is:

On this day 149 years ago (29th November 1864) 700 Colorado Territory Militia descended on the village of Sand Creek and slaughtered the Cheyenne and Arapaho villagers, two thirds of whom were women and children who were waiting to surrender to the U.S forces. Despite previous promises of peace and the rights to their own lands the tribes had been more and more marginalised because gold had been discovered on their land. Chivington and his militia "bravely" waited until all the males of fighting age had left the camp on a hunt and under a white flag run up by the Indians the massacre commenced:

Before Chivington and his men left the area, they plundered the tipis and took the horses. After the smoke cleared, Chivington's men came back and killed many of the wounded. They also scalped many of the dead, regardless of whether they were women, children or infants. Chivington and his men dressed their weapons, hats and gear with scalps and other body parts, including human fetuses and male and female genitalia. They also publicly displayed these battle trophies in Denver's Apollo Theater and area saloons. Three Indians who remained in the village are known to have survived the massacre: George Bent's brother Charlie Bent, and two Cheyenne women who were later turned over to William Bent.

What does this have to do with the sale? nothing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here