Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Theatre tickets for kids

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I want to treat the grandkids to a show in London but not sure what show would be good.

Any recommendations of shows to see, best times, places to stay and where to get tickets from?

kids are 7 & 4, maybe the little one a bit young yet?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Matilda and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory are very good apparently - but the 4-year-old may be a bit young for both of those

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Totally agree, Matilda is a terrific show and well worth getting tickets for if you can.

I usually get my tickets on line at lsbo.co.uk or theatrepeople.com

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Not seen Matilda but Lion King is good and quite child friendly.

Stumpy Tim

My 5 year old cried at The Lion King and I had to take her home at the interval. She wasn't the only one.

I've heard The Snowman is great, and we really enjoyed Room on the Broom earlier this year. We've got tickets for the Peppa Pig show in London as a xmas treat.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
More votes for Matilda and the Snowman. The Snowman would be enjoyed by both of them but I think the 4 year old is just a little young for Matilda.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But it's so bloody expensive.

Once again I'm looking for a 'big family day out' in the holidays, and would love to take the kids to a 'proper' show.

It's the same shows, Matilda, Charlie, Wicked, Lion King and so on, as a year ago, in pretty big theatres.
Even if I wasn't after a Wed matinee performance in August I still couldn't afford it.

Surely every performance isn't a sell out, esp the 3 figure seats :ohmy: and yet it's the best part of £50 a restricted view seat, right at the back.

There must be cheap seats somewhere, but where? (just off to check MS' recommended sites)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But it's so bloody expensive.

Once again I'm looking for a 'big family day out' in the holidays, and would love to take the kids to a 'proper' show.

It's the same shows, Matilda, Charlie, Wicked, Lion King and so on, as a year ago, in pretty big theatres.
Even if I wasn't after a Wed matinee performance in August I still couldn't afford it.

Surely every performance isn't a sell out, esp the 3 figure seats :ohmy: and yet it's the best part of £50 a restricted view seat, right at the back.

There must be cheap seats somewhere, but where? (just off to check MS' recommended sites)

Kids week (actually a whole month) is the thing, but you're probably too late. Worth a look though - http://www.kidsweek.co.uk

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Lots of smaller musicals and child-focused theatre comes tours so keep an eye out for them.

4 is probably a bit young for Matilda, or any of the main west end kids' shows.

You might want to obtain the music to whatever you're taking them to beforehand and play it a lot the week or so before you go. They will find it much more enjoyable when it's familiar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kids week (actually a whole month) is the thing, but you're probably too late. Worth a look though - http://www.kidsweek.co.uk
Almost to the day, just a year later.

Thanks to good old NSC I've shnaffled cheap tickets to see The Railway Children.
Fingers crossed the jnr stats will have a memorable experience at their first 'proper' theatre production.

Someone prancing around as Fire Sam in Worthing doesn't really count, does it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow The Railway Children is fantastic.

Sure we don't 'do' the theatre and would probably be enthralled by a Pinteresque production of The Banjo & The Cow's Bum from new playwright CJO Grady, TRC was still amazing.

The whole concept, use of space and flow of the performance made it almost impossible for us not to get drawn in.

Certainly one for the kids, but if you have a soft spot for the film you'll love the play.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My uncle was in the same class at school as the young blond one in the film. Sorry, I can't help with tickets.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Gruffalo is a great for that age group and is usually on in one of the smaller thearrs. I saw in with my kids at Soho Theate on Dean Street a few years ago

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow The Railway Children is fantastic.

Sure we don't 'do' the theatre and would probably be enthralled by a Pinteresque production of The Banjo & The Cow's Bum from new playwright CJO Grady, TRC was still amazing.

The whole concept, use of space and flow of the performance made it almost impossible for us not to get drawn in.

Certainly one for the kids, but if you have a soft spot for the film you'll love the play.

I've just seen the stage performance is being shown on Sky Arts, this afternoon.

Well worth a watch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here