Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Replacement element for a Smeg fan oven

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Good morning, not footy related, but asking those in the know about these things for a but of advice...

The other day the old element in the above built in oven died in an unspectacular orange fireball!

Unfortunately the whole unit had to come out so I could get the old element out. I've ordered a replacement element which on the whole looks the same as the old one (but has an extra coil) but the fixings all appear to be in the same place... Except,

1, the little prongs/connectors at the rear of the old one was a singular thing, but the new one has a 2 pronged attachment - albeit the 2 prongs are each the same size as the old one (I hope the pics make more sense!) - will I need new connectors attaching to my cooker or just be able to slide it onto one of the 2 prongs?

2, the connecting nut & bolt has seized into the old unit - will I need special ones for a cooker or will any old nut do?!

Many thanks in advance, I'm trying to avoid calling out a cooker engineer as my new daughter is wiping me out financially! image.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Was it fitted by this guy?

rimmer.jpg

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Where's the element connection? Not shown

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Hi, sorry for slow reply, been Xmas shopping (joy of joys) the 1st pic is of the old connector (there are 3 connectors that attach to rear of the element)image.jpg

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
The second is the new one - they fit on, but why have they changed? Is the new one for a slightly different connector? image.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
you went Christmas shopping , why not call out an engineer :whistle:
regards
DR
Maybe because he wants to be able to afford some Christmas presents...?

I have had a gutful of paying out on this sort of stuff. £500 to get central locking fixed...? £120 to get a new part fitted to a dishwasher?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Maybe because he wants to be able to afford some Christmas presents...?

I have had a gutful of paying out on this sort of stuff. £500 to get central locking fixed...? £120 to get a new part fitted to a dishwasher?

Every trade just seems so dear, we had some
Plumbers quote for a bathroom fit and excluding parts it was £3k for labour which he expected to do in a week... If I had my time again I'd definitely learn a trade or two!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I have a smeg built in oven and exactly the same thing happened about 4 years ago (so probably due to happen again ) I don't think I'd buy Italian again. Miele next time.

Anyway,I replaced the element but I don't remember it having 2 pair connectors like that. To me it looks like each pair is part of the same connector.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
As long as connections are properly made and you've got continuity you should be ok

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I have a smeg built in oven and exactly the same thing happened about 4 years ago (so probably due to happen again ) I don't think I'd buy Italian again. Miele next time.

Anyway,I replaced the element but I don't remember it having 2 pair connectors like that. To me it looks like each pair is part of the same connector.

I was cursing Italian engineering earlier it was all a bit faffy to reassemble. I've connected it up and put it back together. I was annoyed with myself as there were 4 screws left over and I couldn't for the life of me work out where they were from. They were the screws needed to attach it to under the counter..! I'm going to try it tomorrow ad if I never post again or a large house explosion makes the national news you'll know why!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here